VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Luv My Yellow Bug
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a beetle owner since July 06, and I love my 99beetle!! They drive wonderful and are so cute. My beetle is bright yellow (Not sure of the proper color name) I named my beetle "Lil mama" :p The first song I ever listened to in my car was about a cute car, and was by lil mama. So the name stuck lol I have a couple issues with my beetle I'm trying to get fixed. I would love some feedback on them. I haven't been able to check my transmission fluid ever since I got my car. I have no idea how to get to it. I'm assuming it needs it because the shifting is off. My beetle has problems going uphill it doesnt want to change gears properly. It will stay at 3 rpms and take longer than normal to change gears. Also I can be driving and this has only happened a couple times, but I was going 45mph and it just deaccelerated to around 20mph instantly, and for a good 30 seconds wouldn't go any faster. Then it just went back up to 45mph and was driving normal. I also been having issues with the catilyic converter. I have had 3 put on since I purchased my car and two O2 sensors. Ever couple months the engine light will flash and it will say main threshold to catilyic converter. When it rains my beetle doesn't want to run very well sometimes. It will start and sound kinda like the older beetles (putting) sometimes after it idles for about 10 minutes it will stop the putting sound and sound normal and run like a new car. Very confusing lol. My car seems to not like the rain lol Sometimes when it rains I cannot drive it, it will putt for about 10 minutes and the engine light will start flashing and it will not run normal (sounds putting, and will not accelerate fast) Then the next day if it hasn't rained it will drive fine. Other than these issues I absolutely love my beetle. I would love to get some insight on what could be causing this. Mechanics around here aren't to smart on figuring out issues with beetles. lol. Please anyone let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Beetlegurl, welcome to the Org. It sounds as if you have a few issues with your NB, lets see if we can't get you some help. Do you know your engine size? 1.8T, 1.9T(Diesel) or a 2.0. We have a section for each one of those and someone should be able to help. Three catalytic converters within a short period of time denotes a much greater problem and one of those would be to much fuel not getting burned in the cylinder and being passed through into the converter where it gets burned in the catalyst destroying it. This would also account for the failed o2 sensor but I would expect to see more of those along with the converters. Loss of power would also be caused by this but could also be attributed to a torque converter lockup problem (transmission).

Hop on over to the technical section and try your question in one of the engine areas that your car fits in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts