VW Beetle Forum banner

Beetle Shifter Assembly/Linkage cables need replacement

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  oasis 
#1 ·
Car died on I20 in Atlanta, GA - turns out need new shifter assembly/linkage cables to the tune of $1,825.54. One option I am considering is junking it. The engine is perfect.

Anyone have any interest in it? It's at VW Marietta in Marietta GA.

Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S (2002)
1.8L L4 DOHC 20V TURBO
VIN: 3VWFE21C72M440889

Thanks,
Tracy!

#2 ·
Do you need the entire system? Or is just one piece broken?

#3 ·
Thanks I am being told the entire system. Came out of 6th gear and then had no ability to get into any gear and would only move vertically and not horizontally. Was pretty scary actually. I really would not know. I can ask for more details if desired.

#4 ·
I don't really see the entire linkage system needing to be replaced on a VW. There are many components to it. Could be something got disconnected that just needs to be reconnected/fixed.

Also, I gather its at a VW dealership? I would try to get to the car to an independent VW shop for diagnosis. The dealer is going to be the most expensive option, and on older cars like these, from what I've seen, they don't do well with properly diagnosing since they don't know them well. Newer techs are barely older than your car!

Reactions: Thejarhead
#5 ·
Thanks - anyone from the Atlanta area that can recommend one?
Currently being quoted the following:
Shifter Assembly - $346.92 - Labor $869.94
Linkage Cables - $608.68

When you use the term "entire linkage system" do you mean the cables only or really the assembly+cables?

At this time, I cannot get it home to North Carolina.

Thanks,
Tracy

#6 ·
I had a similar experience a week and a half ago. For me, I was shifting from 4th to 5th. No noise, no warning. I released the clutch and knew I was still in 4th. The shifter moved about regardless if I deployed the clutch or not. My only choice was 4th gear or be out of gear by pushing the clutch. Luckily, I was able to drive the last two hours on the interstate all of the way home in 4th (~50 MPH at ~3200 RPMs -- even in the slow lane, I had haters on the highway).

Anyway, I had it towed to a VW specialty shop. My Turbo S definitely needs the bushing kit from Diesel Geek. With labor, $600-650. If I need cables as well, add another $350-450 including labor. The shop said the cables rarely go bad but be prepared just in case. Even at a ceiling price of $1,100, it's a heck of a lot less than what you were quoted.

Good luck.

#16 ·
I had a similar experience a week and a half ago. For me, I was shifting from 4th to 5th. No noise, no warning. I released the clutch and knew I was still in 4th. The shifter moved about regardless if I deployed the clutch or not. My only choice was 4th gear or be out of gear by pushing the clutch. Luckily, I was able to drive the last two hours on the interstate all of the way home in 4th (~50 MPH at ~3200 RPMs -- even in the slow lane, I had haters on the highway).

Anyway, I had it towed to a VW specialty shop. My Turbo S definitely needs the bushing kit from Diesel Geek. With labor, $600-650. If I need cables as well, add another $350-450 including labor. The shop said the cables rarely go bad but be prepared just in case. Even at a ceiling price of $1,100, it's a heck of a lot less than what you were quoted.
Two weeks later, I finally got mine back. It took that long for the shop to get the bushing kit from Diesel Geek via USPS. The cables were fine, so the cost was the low end of the original spread. It's nice and tight like it should be.

Looks like everyone did a-okay :cool:

#7 ·
Raise the hood. Down beside the battery on top of the transmission is a golf club looking device. That is a weight for the transmission shifting linkage. At the base of the golf club are two cable ends that run back to your gear shift. Has one of thos ends come loose and flopping around? They are black with a spring mounted on them.

If the end has come loose and it’s not broke you can easily reattach them with your hands no tool is required. At the bottom of this diesel geek page about their bushing kit are several videos about how the shift linkage works and also what it looks like. Watch the videos and then look at you underhood linkage. If one of the cable ends is damaged and has come loose the end is held on by a clip that is removed by a pair of pliers. You can get a new end directly from a vw dealer or perhaps an auto parts store I even have two ends just laying on a shelf in my garage.

Of course it can also be something underneath the shift lever itself, dealers are notorious for replacing everything in the path of a problem. They often use the parts cannon to solve problems.

Example;
Is your wiper arm broken? Well we need to replace both arms , the wiper linkage and the wiper motor because that broken arm probably damaged the internal components of the wiper assembly.

#12 ·
Raise the hood. Down beside the battery on top of the transmission is a golf club looking device. That is a weight for the transmission shifting linkage. At the base of the golf club are two cable ends that run back to your gear shift. Has one of thos ends come loose and flopping around? They are black with a spring mounted on them.

If the end has come loose and it’s not broke you can easily reattach them with your hands no tool is required. At the bottom of this diesel geek page about their bushing kit are several videos about how the shift linkage works and also what it looks like. Watch the videos and then look at you underhood linkage. If one of the cable ends is damaged and has come loose the end is held on by a clip that is removed by a pair of pliers. You can get a new end directly from a vw dealer or perhaps an auto parts store I even have two ends just laying on a shelf in my garage.

Of course it can also be something underneath the shift lever itself, dealers are notorious for replacing everything in the path of a problem. They often use the parts cannon to solve problems.

Example;
Is your wiper arm broken? Well we need to replace both arms , the wiper linkage and the wiper motor because that broken arm probably damaged the internal components of the wiper assembly.

How difficult is it to get to all the places to replace there bushings? Is there a video that you know of? I might have to do this to my 2005 Bug Convertible just to prevent a problem when the wife is driving and I am not with. Thanks

#8 ·
Thanks all - I am now in North Carolina and have to get it fixed remotely - UGH. That being said, does anyone have a recommendation for a trusted VW shop in Atlanta, GA that I can get it towed to? I am willing to do the legwork to get it started at a fair price.

#11 ·
This thread; should be informative:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Ease of replacement depends on your level of skill, I would term replacement some what easy, but then I've done the bushing a couple of times and know what I'm getting into. Removal of the air box helps access to the cable ends under the hood. Removal of the shift boot is required to reach the bushings at the base of the shifter. A lot of that is explained in the diesel geek videos.

#17 ·
Did you replace the bushings on top of the transmission (end links, pivot points and the shifter stick, ball bushing, etc)? While, the DG bushing kit is good; there are other bushings not included and parts I replaced, while i was in there, plus the Sigma 6, is a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Great question. Looking at the invoice, my guess is yes. I will ask next week when Golfie gets an oil change.

Reactions: billymade
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.