NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I purchased a 2000 VW Beetle 2.0 about 2 years ago and I really have enjoyed driving this vehicle:D. The vehicle has around 122K miles on it and has been very well cared for inside and out:). A few weeks ago the Bug just shut down while I was driving it:confused:. Luckily, I was on a side road and had room to glide over. Had to wait about 20 min. for the car to start again and then made it home:(. Replaced the ignition coil thinking electrical and checked the MAF sensor;). Took the car out for another careful test drive and the same thing happened about 15 min. later:confused:. All interior fuses and engine compartment fuses look perfect:). I'm leaning now to replacing the fuel pump next as it's the original one. Has this ever happened to anyone else?:confused: It's really a very dangerous situation that this car now shuts down while driving without any warning at all and could possibly cause a very serious accident:mad:.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated,
David:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
You're welcome David:D

Casey is offline for a little while, but she said that it sounds like what she went though over the summer- on Her way to Roswell of all times. Are the temps fairly warm to hot?

I'll have Danny/DannyRandomState chime in too. He's privy to this dilemma.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
are you getting a check engine light?

if so, get it read and get us the codes. i would love to say with 100% certainty that it is in fact a crank position sensor, BUT, without the fault codes, i can't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine light has been on since... well, forever. Had O2 sensors changed... light went off and came back on a few days later. I'm talking over (2) years ago. New Hampshire inspection doesn't require the check engine light to be off.

Anyways, there are no codes at the moment. I have ordered a crankshaft sensor from all I've been reading and will install it myself. Who knows, if it's not that maybe a fuel pump.

David

·
Registered
95 Posts
From browsing four New Beetle forums and a BMW one it becomes apparent that, as a general rule, each car has one or more weak points.

Having read several threads where older New Beetle owners have driven 2 minutes, 5 minutes etc and the car has just stopped completely it has turned out to be the crank sensor.

People can change many many expensive items, never mind labour charges, for no good reason.

Please spend time browsing for similar issues and hopefully you will see. Also try browsing vwaudiforum.co.uk and while looking remember to look at the Golfs and Ventos that have the similar engine.

As the Cheat wisely says if you get an engine light have the codes read at Autozone.

In the end it is only a sensor, located I believe behind the timing belt cover, and I would guess not hugely expensive to replace.

Best wishes, Ian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyways, there are no codes at the moment. I have ordered a crankshaft sensor from all I've been reading and will install it myself. Who knows, if it's not that maybe a fuel pump.
Fingers crossed David things will be sorted. A poorly running car is a pain in the ar*e but an engine that stops for no reason would drive me nuts :mad:

Regards, Ian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've got that right, Ian. Right now it's russian roulette with a VW Bug! I am currently trying to find exactly where the crank sensor is located on the engine? Is it true that this part is also called a VR Sensor, Inductive Sensor and an Impulse Sensor?
I wish I could figure this out. Ordered the part today and it only ran about $48 including shipping.

Help...
David

·
Tired.....
3,970 Posts
Dave,

As mentioned prior Casey had a very similar problem on the to and in Roswell. It turned out to be the fuel filter. As we were coming into Roswell (after driving in the heat 100+ degrees) Fiona would just stop. No CEL came on either. We pulled her filter which had the regulator attached to it, and tried to get one from several local parts houses but no avail. We did find out later that one letter in the part number (printed on the filter) was changed some time ago, and that was part of the problem of attaining a new filter.

You might try changing a 15 dollar part as opposed to a higher priced part. Not to mention les work also.

Just my .02.

Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the info but the fuel filter was recently changed as I originally suspected it may be the culprit.

David

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am currently trying to find exactly where the crank sensor is located on the engine?

Is it true that this part is also called a VR Sensor, Inductive Sensor and an Impulse Sensor?

Help...
David
My Haynes manual says the crank or "engine speed sensor" is located on the side of the engine located near the oil filter. It has an electrical connection, retaining bolt and an O ring ... that seems to be all there is :D

It's other names I'm not 100% on.

Regards, Ian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU IAN! You probably won't believe this but I was able to remove the crankshaft sensor WITHOUT removing anything else. It helps to be as flexible as Gumby... only took a few days and a little pain. Anyways, thank you all for your input... I really appreciate the help and enthusiasm.

That was exactly what the problem was and it's running beautiful once again.

You saved me a lot of aggravation as well as a lot of money!

Thanks so much,
David

·
Dan
36 Posts
My wife's car has the same symptoms, what was the process for replacing this sensor? Not sure if it makes a difference with the engine type, my wifes car has the 1.8L. Thanks Dan

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Archie, that is not quite correct. I also have a 2000 which stymied the dealership for three days.
Only code he threw was engine speed sensor, he would even be driving 70, I would hear a click, the immobilizer light would go on and he would die.

The sensor would send the wrong signal, immobilizer found the voltage too low, and shut the car off.

Dealership never saw anything like it.

I think it might be an issue with the gen 1 immobilizer

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry I dont think I explained correctly, I thought the poster above was asking whether the car would not even crank (ie turn over) if the sensor had failed.

Which was incorrect as I understood it as even with the Immobiliser armed (or crank position sensor not working) the car will still turn over (crank) it just wont start.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts