NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here but I figured it'd be a good place to be a member of.

Anyway, I've been searching everywhere and I can't find an answer. So I hit a curb the other day and ruined my left rim and blew out the tire. I have a 98 VW Beetle. Anyway, the guys at the shop fixed up the alignment and all that stuff but I told them to not order me a new rim and tire and that'd I'd just use the spare.

I'm pretty sure that the spare in the Beetle is fullsized right? I thought I'd come here to ask since y'all seem to know what you're doing. I'm curious as to how safe it is to travel on a Beetle spare. And for what kind of distances.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
mines a full size spare. i have a 2002 Turbo-S

-jd

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
It is a full size, and it is a regular production tire so no issues on running it for a full life cycle honestly.

As a tire engineer, however I will say that if the tire is the original spare for your 98 then it is now 15 years old, and out of its recommended usage life. That is not to say that anything bad WILL happen... just that it COULD.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My 2003 is a full size spare, however, it is a much different tire than what is on the car. It is a higher sidewall and narrower tire than the other. The spare say no faster than 50 MPH as I recall??

Check on ebay. I got a refurbished aluminum wheel shipped to me for $114. This was repainted and ready to run. I thought this was a great price for the wheel that matched my other 17" Daytona`s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts