NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a bit of help with a problem I'm having with my 2003 VW Beetle Sport (2.3 V5)

The car has been running great since bought it 2 months ago, but a few days ago I had a CEL and a really rough idle that sounded like it was misfire.

Prior to this happening I was taking out the battery, battery tray, and the negative cable as it was in poor condition.

Anyway when I put everything back and went for a drive it suddenly lost power and CEL came on.
The codes are

P0010
P0013
P0661

I think I must have knocked a wire or plug which is causing a short circuit, or blown a fuse or relay? But I don't know.

I don't really know where to start trying to solve it.

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P000A/000010

16397 P0013 Camshaft Position Actuator B Bank 1 (intake) Circuit Malfunction.

Trouble Code: P0661

Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit Low Bank 1

Possible Causes:

Fuel pump relay is faulty
ECM has failed
Intake manifold change-over valve needs replacing
Circuit wires have shorted to each other, to battery or ground

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
To begin with; both trouble codes, seem to be electrical in natire and both plugs for the two sensors/connections are typically in the same area. So, i would be checking the electrical connections and fuses, relays, etc for thise two circuits. What scan tool; are you using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply,

My scan tool is a cheap Elm327 dongle bought from eBay, connected to Torque Pro.
When I scanned the first time it also listed a misfire on cylinder 2 so I swapped the coil pack with No 4 to see if the code would change to cylinder and it didn't. It just went away.

This sounds very noob but what and where is the intake manifold control valve?
I'm thinking I could follow the wire back from that connector to a point where it meets the connection for the camshaft position actuators.

Come to think of it a can smell fuel when it is idling.

Many thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts