NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with my 2004 2.0 liter gls beetle,automatic with 68K miles. It stalls when idling or accelerating from a stop like at stop signs, lights, drive thrus. Recently replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Car spent three days at dealer and would not mess up at all, I drove it home and it stalled. Seems to work fine after sitting for awhile like over night but gives no warning when it is about to stall other than rough idle right before stalling. No check engine light and really no other problems. Any ideas :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm having trouble with my 2004 2.0 liter gls beetle,automatic with 68K miles. It stalls when idling or accelerating from a stop like at stop signs, lights, drive thrus. Recently replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Car spent three days at dealer and would not mess up at all, I drove it home and it stalled. Seems to work fine after sitting for awhile like over night but gives no warning when it is about to stall other than rough idle right before stalling. No check engine light and really no other problems. Any ideas :confused:
Did you clean the throttlebody? Check for vaccume leak?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Already ordered a new MAF so hopefully that's it if not I guess on to the throttle body. Does anyone think if I needed to replace a coilpack that it would die at an idle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not maf replaced that and still having problems. Loses power while on highway now and also tends to die more often on left turns :confused: Running out of ideas. No one can pin point problem. Any other suggestions????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beetle stalling and other issues

I have had the same problem for several years now. I have brought it in dozens of times to the dealer and they never solve the problem. It is a super dangerous problem. There is a class action lawsuit that has been filed about this exact problem. There is a Facebook group titled My VW Beetle is a lemon. Hundreds of people with the same issue. Many dealers will tell you it's your transmission. They did this to me at 30K miles! On an automatic! Now they are trying to say it is this again! It is not that. There is a serious flaw in the whole system. Especially in the 2004 models. VW will not recall or face the issue. They cover it up with a letter about a valve body that needs to be replaced. They have done everything under the sun to mine and they still have not fixed it. Much of the work I had to pay for! It literally has stopped in the middle of the freeway and in the middle green lights or just driving down the street. I have almost gotten killed or in a severe accident.

They have told me it's the following things on separate occasions. I have forgotten the other ones. I will have to find those records.

Transmission
Wires
Computer
Valve Body

It was in the shop earlier this week and they promised it was fixed again and today it stalled twice and would not accelerate in the middle of traffic. It's crazy. I just do not get it. Just fix it the right way but I guess they are just waiting for a lawsuit to do so.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,968 Posts
Sounds like you need to find someone else to work on your car. Dealers are not the end-all-be-all. Plenty of independent shops that do much better work than a dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Beetle convertible today. replaced a few fuses and got back many systems. I am having the stalling issue as well. Running 70, the tach will stay the same (say 2500), loses ten mph with foot in same throttle position, then it catches, downshifts, revs up and back to normal. Did not do this until I had about 55 miles on it. The last 40 after that to the house were treacherous.

Has anyone ever solved it, it is going to the dealer first then a few private shops in Gainesville, FL next week.

·
Registered
11,797 Posts
Did you scan for trouble codes; bad speed sensor, dirty throttle body, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter and many other things could be possibilities. I would test the fuel pressure and see if it is in spec.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I am having the stalling issue as well. Running 70, the tach will stay the same (say 2500), loses ten mph with foot in same throttle position, then it catches, downshifts, revs up and back to normal.
This sounds a lot like the engine speed sensor to me. I had a similar thing happen where the engine shut off for a second or two on the highway, then came right back on as if nothing were wrong. It left no codes on the ECU. It was a bad engine speed sensor.

I assume you had the cruise control on from your description. When ECU loses the engine speed sensor signal it cuts out the fuel injection and spark since it no longer knows the crankshaft position. With the throttle valve open there is little engine braking so the car will lose speed slowly, more like you shifted into neutral than you lifted off the gas pedal. The tack is frozen since there is no update on the RPMs. The cruise control opens up the throttle in an attempt to keep the speed up even though there is no power. When the speed sensor cuts back in the engine is at full throttle and then it begins working as it normally would again.

I think it all fits. Of course you should check for codes an make sure there aren't other problems.

Here is my DIY on the engine speed sensor:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/60706-engine-speed-sensor-replacement.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the Engine coolant temp sensor or the MAF. One of those two things if not both.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's the Engine coolant temp sensor or the MAF. One of those two things if not both.

Welcome to the org. I see this is your first post. If you look directly beside the avatar of the post you’re responding to, you will see a date. The question you were answering was asked in 2011, I hope that he was able to solve his problem long ago.

It’s great however that your first post is an attempt to help someone, most first posts are folks having problems so they’re asking for help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts