VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help i have a LHD beetle 1999 i need a new steering rack and the part number is 1J1422105DE i have looked and the steering rack on ebay germany is alot cheaper but when i looked on a french site it shows a audi/beetle steering rack has the same part number for over a hundred euros more can anyone advise on this matter asap thank you

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
:)In my experience there are 2 reasons that cause a wide range of pricing for service parts.

One is that as we say in the US you are not comparing apples to apples. By that I mean that even though the sites you are searching show it is the same part number it might not be the exact same part from the same source.

The part listed in Germany and the part listed in France will probably both fit your vehicle. However they might be from different suppliers or have some differences in configuration. For example some replacement steering racks include the inner and outer tie rod ends and some do not. In some cases one unit might be remanufactured and one might be a new manufactured part. Or there might be a difference in warranty. Sometimes a supplier might offer "free shipping" but they actually charge a higher price to cover that cost.

The other reason is the very simple result of a free market and how prices are set throughout the supply chain. The economists always say that the market price is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

A difference of 100 euro in pricing for a steering rack does not surprise me. I recently purchased a part for our New Beetle and paid less than 50% of the retail price at the dealer. Before I bought it I confirmed that it was the same OEM part that I would have received from the dealer.

My real advice is to "shop smart" which you are obviously doing. Hope my words in English are good for you.:)

Rusty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts