VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came to a stop sign and put in first gear, as I accelerated and tried to shift to 2nd, it would not go, turned into a driveway and could not shift into any gear while engine was running, shut engine off and shifted into reverse and had to restart in gear then shut car off shift to 1st and restart again while in gear, clutch was useless, has anyone else experienced this, it's a 2007 beetle convertible, I could not tell you what kind of transmission, this is my first beetle, can anyone direct me as to what kind of tranny I have?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, in that case; you would have a 02J 5 speed transmission. Diagnosing the problem; would beak down into several areas:

1. Hydraulic:

A. Look for leaks at the master cylinder ( inside near firewall and pedal) and the slave cylinder ( bell housing on top of transmission).

2. mechanical shifter linkage:

A. Pull the shifter boot up and inspect the shifter for damage and see if anything has come undone, broken or bushings have failed.

B. Pull the air box to give you access to the shifter ends and assembly on top of the trans. Look for anything undone and see if anything looks broken. You could try shifting and see if all the gears; seem to work by moving the shifter gate by hand.

This should give you an idea; if the problem is the external shifter linkage or a internal problem.

If everything seems ok (no hydraulic leaks or linkage problems) and the clutch pedal has normal pressure; you might try adjusting the shifter linkage:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo

3. Internal problems:

If you still have issues; it may come down to: internal transmission damage, bad throw out bearing lever (bent) or clutch wear or damage. At this point; the transmission needs to come out to properly evaluate the problem and make necessary repairs.

Make the above checks; report your findings here and we can go from there, thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts