NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely having some issues with my 01. I think I might know the cause but here's the story...

I was down in Florida for a few months and if anyone knows of Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando they'll know that they are doing some major road work. They have jersey walls set up on parts of the road with the blinking orange lights attached to the top of the walls.

I was driving along one day and ended up driving over something that got stuck under my car. It finally came loose and when I looked in my rearview mirror I noticed that I managed to drive over the gray box that is attached under the blinking orange light. I was on my way to Costco to get gas and when I got there I looked the best I could under the car to see if the thing had put an obvious hole (that would make some fluid drip) in anything. Nope.

Fast forward to last week. I was driving some friends around and they mentioned to me that the car sounded louder than usual. Then my parents came down and were in the car and said the same thing.

I had the car in the shop for the 55k service. They said nothing about the loudness (however, I never mentioned it either).

So as I've been driving lately the car does have an irritating loud vibrating sound to it (like it should switch gears [it's an automatic]). It almost sounds like it's an airplane engine. But when I am turning the steering wheel to the left the loud humming noises go away.. But when the car is going straight or to the right it's back...

What are your thoughts? Should I just take it into the dealer to see what they can tell me?
(and sorry for the long story!)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
It might be quicker and cheaper to go to a muffler shop. Have them look at the mount points to see if any of the rubber donuts that hold the exhaust system in place have been damaged.

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I thought you meant you had something like this going on.

Another thought is that it could be something to do with the power steering.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking it in to the shop on Friday. We'll see what the problem with the beetle is this time.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
if i had a problem i wouldn't know, 108sq feet of sound deadning keeps things pretty quiet. not to mention the other 150 that im adding

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Verdict is cupped tires. What the heck are cupped tires? I knew I had to get new tires sometime soon so that takes care of two of them...

And a new battery since the one that was in there is about 5 years old (bought the car used so it's never been replaced)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Vayleen said:
Verdict is cupped tires. What the heck are cupped tires? I knew I had to get new tires sometime soon so that takes care of two of them...

And a new battery since the one that was in there is about 5 years old (bought the car used so it's never been replaced)
If they are cupped, do they mean uneven wear? (which might be due to an alignment issue) Or do they mean the middle of the tire has cupped (like gone concave)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure. But they changed the rear tires and apparently heard a different humming noise and they looked around some more and had to change the left rear wheel bearing. So I shelled out $800 for two new tires, wheel bearing, and a bettery... I swear mechanics must be millionaires. The price to fix this stuff is ridiculous! Every time I have had an issue with my car that needs something somewhat important replaced it's been NO less than $800...

Which is why I am thinking of selling it before I have to pay $800 more to fix it... :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts