NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aimee M.
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sagra is a 2007 2.5L GLS with a manual transmission

Has anyone encountered the problem that their car will stop behaving and instead of accelerating smoothly as normal, it will act as though the car bogs down? Playing with the throttle doesn't really seem to help- flooring it will only result in the car limping through it's 3-5 second fit, then ZOOM, it finally starts doing what you tell it to with a jerk or several. I can't remember if it actually stalls during these fits- I want to say Sagra did, but that it was rare.

This issue IS related to hot weather! The definition of hot varies: Sagra acted up anytime over like 90F in Florida, he seemed to do it at lower temperatures in drier Colorado air. Others we questioned had that temperature hotter or cooler.

Sagra would do this after prolonged driving. A trip of half an hour would be fine, but if you drove an hour, he'd start this trouble anytime you'd try to accelerate, either from stop lights or even just to increase speed. (So interstate speed for a long while then town driving was an ABSOLUTE nightmare.)

We wrecked over the summer and my car has been laid up in Colorado. Part of the many reasons we crashed towing Marmalade to my dad's is that we COULD NOT accelerate to recover from the slide. We are planning to go and get Sagra over the week of Thanksgiving and the research I did back then has been lost/forgotten over these many months. I'd appreciate a refresher so that IF we manage to get the parts to repair the physical damages to the crushed control arm and any other bits, I can actually drive Sagra home.

I do know that Sagra also had the issue after fueling: He'd be completely fine until you put gas in him. Then after fueling you'd have to stand on the gas pedal and after turning over a few times, he'd start and run rough as hell for a few minutes. You'd have to keep him at a high idle to prevent stalling out. After a few minutes he was fine again. Research indicates that weezerjerry solved this with an N80 purge valve, which is the part that was waiting for us when we got to dad's... but we never made it in one piece....

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
The 2.5L, has it's own unique issues; the PCV in the valve cover is a common failure, causes drivability issues, because the bad pcv introduces a unmetered vacuum leak and then, the vacuum pump seals, related loss of vacuum, could cause issues as well.

Other classic non 2.5L problems, can be a bad coolant temp sensor; fuel delivery issues or other related failures, looking at your fuel trims, is a quick way, to see how the fuel system is working and if there are any fuel system issues.

pcv failure info: common symptoms and available repair kits or just replace the whole valve cover (pcv is integrated into the valve cover assembly):

vacuum pump delete kit:

vacuum pump leaking oil; replace bad seals/gasket, available repair/seal/gasket kits:

I would start with a fresh scan for trouble codes and see, if any point, in the direction of the problem. Let us know, what you discover, post any trouble codes you find and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Aimee M.
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No scans yet. We don't have a scanner, he's have to be driven to an auto store.. We charged up the battery and drive the car into the garage onto ramps. The oil left a puddle as large as a pilsner drinking glass rim in the places it paused before the ramps, then another same size before the car shut off on the ramps, so it seems worse while running?

It took more than 24 hours to get our wrecked rental replaced so we finally got control arm and oil filter and oil this morning.

Update because site maintenance prevented posting earlier: The oil is hemorrhaging out. Sagra cannot come home. My dad will be continuing repairs alone. He wants to check the oil filter adapter, between the filter and the block. I've also told him about the vacuum pump common issues.

I'm sad. Sagra was not interested in stalling anymore. He got the new control arm and looks perfectly fine in the front. The new N80 Purge valve is installed. I guess we'll find out later if it worked, but we won't drive him around with this snow in the ground (it stormed overnight) and THAT MUCH oil falling out of him.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Well, these repairs, can take time; in many situations, you have multiple issues going on and it takes, fixing one, to find out you have others! Don't give up, hopefully your dad; can start working down the list, fix the oil leak and get the car, to daily driver status, once again! Keep us in the loop; as your repairs move forward and things progress. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts