NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1999 New Beetle 1.8t with 90,000. Just changed Water Pump, Timing belt. Plugs done recently as well. This morning after I parked, I went to restart the car to move it, and It would crank bu t it wouldn't start. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Hopefully it will start when it is cold so I can get home!

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Any cel on? or another idiot lights on?

In my case the water temp sensor went bad and had a heckuva od a hard time to start it up, no cel no nothing just cranking the engine to oblivion and hoping it would start up...

the sensor has to be GREEN if it is black YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT.

It is located easily, just see the batery next to it to the left is the steering fluid reservoir, then if you look in between the reservoir and the engine you will see omo hoses that carry radiator (water) fluid and it has a Y shaped bifurcation. Near this bifurcation there will be a sensor with cables attached to it. THAT IS THE @#$% sensor that has to be changed, if you have the green sensor check the cables are ok and well connected.

hope this will help you..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CEL has been on for 4 years. P4011, changes all vacuum hoses, decided to forget about it.

It was hard to start this afternoon again, but when I got home, I tried it, it started fine 5 or 6 times.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
jiffyjoe said:
The CEL has been on for 4 years. P4011, changes all vacuum hoses, decided to forget about it.

It was hard to start this afternoon again, but when I got home, I tried it, it started fine 5 or 6 times.
Only after you fix the vacuum leak can you really diagnose your prob. It sounds to me like all the cold start inrichment components are not recieving the correct signals from the sensors, esp. the coolant temp. sensor. There is also an air intake temp. sensor that is located at the throttle body housing. Change the offending vacuum hose and who knows, it just might fix your problem. If it does not, take to dealer for a good scan and that will pinpoint the cause of this hard to start condition. Our cars were designed to start right up in any weather or temps. Your car is beyond the engine management computers ability to correct for the leaking vacuum line and the timing and the mixture and spark are no longer in the obtimal position to allow for an easy start. Vacuum lines are cheap and once the engine cover is removed, they can all be seen and the ends looked at for cracks. The type lines used by VW with the braiding over the actual line are useless. The outside braiding only hides any cracking and broken areas..
Good Luck and get it fixed before your starter is gone.. JK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts