NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had driven my 2000 Beetle Wednesday and when I went out to leave Thursday morning it wouldn't start. It doesn't turn over....makes no noise at all. The dash lights come on, the doors lock and unlock. The battery shows 100% when we put it on the charger.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I had driven my 2000 Beetle Wednesday and when I went out to leave Thursday morning it wouldn't start. It doesn't turn over....makes no noise at all. The dash lights come on, the doors lock and unlock. The battery shows 100% when we put it on the charger.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
My guess would be the ignition switch. They are know to fail. Cheap and easy fix.

VWVortex.com - **Ignition Switch Replacement DIY**

I think you can get the swtich for about $20 bucks plus shipping from ECS:
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

The dealership will charge you around 80+ Dollars plus installation which will be at least 200-300 bucks.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
battery

My first guess is the Battery is bad. Just because the charger says 100% does not mean the battery can still pull cranking Amps. when u put a load on a battery that is when it pushes or call it pulls cranking amperage. Good luck man

& welcome back INDYTOM, hadn't seen you in a while :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
My first guess is the Battery is bad. Just because the charger says 100% does not mean the battery can still pull cranking Amps. when u put a load on a battery that is when it pushes or call it pulls cranking amperage. Good luck man

& welcome back INDYTOM, hadn't seen you in a while :D
It's good to be back ;)

I second the post of Esse10. Try to jump start the car off another vehicle and see if it cranks. If not I still think it is the ignition switch. Also check the fuse box on top of the battery itself. They tend to melt due to bad wire coming from the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts