VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even sure where to start. With cold weather in ohio the last month, daughters car needed jumped. Did some crazy stuff after like random brake and abs flashes, went into limp mode... Checked it with ross tech basic cleared wheel sensor code and everything was fine. Over the last week, it started making a clicking like the battery was dead occasionally and then would start like there was no problem.

Got the click yesterday. Took battery out and tried to charge it. battery charger went from 6 to full charge every few seconds. assumed battery was dead. Went and got new battery. put it in car and nothing. No lights, no click nothing...

Can anyone tell me where to start to try and diagnose...

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you put a new battery in it and there is zero electrical power, I'd double check your battery connections.

I hate to ask (since it seems obvious), but did you take the plastic protective covers off the battery terminals? I've heard from auto parts store workers that not taking these off is more common than you'd think.

Also, double check to make sure the red cable is on the positive terminal and the black cable is on the negative terminal.

If all that looks o.k. I'd double check that the new battery is fully charged, then I'd start checking things like the battery cables, main grounds, shorted circuits, and etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, put battery charger on battery and car started. Let it run to warm up with no problems.. Turned key off and Odometer slowly went blank.... Then no start again. Like not even having a battery....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, today is my birthday and I just got a great present. The red wire from the positive cable to the fuse box was loose. Tightened 6 turns and all is fixed.... Lucky for me.

Thanks!
Rod

·
Registered
758 Posts
Glad it was easy to find and fix. I had a battery cable work itself loose (months after replacing it) on one of my old cars and had similar symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts