NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, We have determined the damage on our 99' Beetle GLS Turbo that broke a timing belt at 82,500 miles. The head is pretty much toast and the pistons all are in bad shape. What is the car worth as is?? Also What blocks/heads are compatible with APH??? Would AWV work??

Any recommendation on where to find a used block and head?

Just trying to figure out what to do now. The title is in my hand so at least we don't owe on the car. I just want to make sure that we don't lose money out of the deal as we planned on selling it this spring.
 

·
strange things are afoot
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
if you are patient, its prolly worth more as parts than whole after this little mishap. nice thing is you have 4 good fender and good front & back clips.

you might consider parting it out as there are always people looking for things.

for example, what interior do you have? auto or 5 speed?
any mods on the car to sell? etc.etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....

Tan Leatherette, no mods, Manual. Transmission is only 30,000 miles old

Its Bright Blue
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Here's the deal: I THINK (and I capitalize that because I'm not 110% sure) there is a 2000 APH in my local yard with 35K on it. I can call and inquire for you, and if you're in New England, I have a garage where I can put the motor in if you choose to go that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...

Thanks, but unfortunately I'm here in Nebraska. Is the 2000 APH engine already pulled?? If so, I'd be interested in the price of it.

-Larkin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...

I think I have figured out that the best option is to sell to a Salvage Yard or Hobbyist.

I called the shop that has the car. So far they have done $635 in work. It would cost another $1200 for them to finish if we found a long block. Realistically, the cheapest that I will find a long block for is $2500 if I'm lucky. Bringing me to damn near $4500 dollars. Book value on the car is only $6200-$6500. Meaning I would make $1700 and still have to go through the hassle of selling the car.

A salvage yard has offered $1750 for the car. I owe the shop $635 so after taxes I would make about $1000.

I don't think $700 is enough justification to fix it when it would take more work and more time to go that route. Plus, if I found someone who truly wanted the car, I may be able to get $2000-$2500 out of it as is. Its a shame, but hey thats life
 

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
Joined
·
502 Posts
man if i had 2 grand straight up right now... i would so buy it
: ( i want to start a new project 600hp car
 

·
20V GTRS
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Technically, if you can dig down far enough into VW guidelines, the timing belt is supposed to last 120K and if it should lose teeth, not snap, the VW will cover it as long as the car is in "factory specs." I new thing I learned from my roommate (VW tech), but the trick is arguing with the service manager at the dealership to actually look it up and honor it.

Else, sounds like a good time for a 2.0 stoker kit and a lightweight valve replacement. :D


The APH and AWV heads are not interchangable. The APH is a non-cam adjsuting setup where the AWV has the self cam adjusting. You have to stay with the code you have now unless you want to spend some money in having the ECU reprogrammed. I am in Houston, TX and I have a good APH head I can pull off a motor, it only has about 25k on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
5lugRS said:
I think I have figured out that the best option is to sell to a Salvage Yard or Hobbyist.

I called the shop that has the car. So far they have done $635 in work. It would cost another $1200 for them to finish if we found a long block. Realistically, the cheapest that I will find a long block for is $2500 if I'm lucky. Bringing me to damn near $4500 dollars. Book value on the car is only $6200-$6500. Meaning I would make $1700 and still have to go through the hassle of selling the car.

A salvage yard has offered $1750 for the car. I owe the shop $635 so after taxes I would make about $1000.

I don't think $700 is enough justification to fix it when it would take more work and more time to go that route. Plus, if I found someone who truly wanted the car, I may be able to get $2000-$2500 out of it as is. Its a shame, but hey thats life

where are you located? I've kinda been thinking a full-race VRT-swapped Bug would be pretty fun :)
 

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
Joined
·
502 Posts
Scarab_Beetle said:
where are you located? I've kinda been thinking a full-race VRT-swapped Bug would be pretty fun :)
i was thinking that 2... but their is no way to stick a 24 valve with a gt35 in their... i wouldent want a 12 valve haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NBTurboFreak said:
Technically, if you can dig down far enough into VW guidelines, the timing belt is supposed to last 120K and if it should lose teeth, not snap, the VW will cover it as long as the car is in "factory specs." I new thing I learned from my roommate (VW tech), but the trick is arguing with the service manager at the dealership to actually look it up and honor it.

Else, sounds like a good time for a 2.0 stoker kit and a lightweight valve replacement. :D


The APH and AWV heads are not interchangable. The APH is a non-cam adjsuting setup where the AWV has the self cam adjusting. You have to stay with the code you have now unless you want to spend some money in having the ECU reprogrammed. I am in Houston, TX and I have a good APH head I can pull off a motor, it only has about 25k on it.
Unfortunately, my wife is the third owner so the 100K powertrain warranty need not apply. They only honor up to 75K for non first owners:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..

Scarab_Beetle said:
where are you located? I've kinda been thinking a full-race VRT-swapped Bug would be pretty fun :)
We are in Omaha, Nebraska.

I've got an offer for $1600 picked up and an offer for $1750 and we have to tow it. My goal is $2,000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Ouch

Ok I know this thread is a bit old, and I know there is like 20 of them on this topic, but I am hoping and praying this isn't me anytime soon. I Really don't know if the 1.8t I just bought has had this service, (i pray it has) and if there is no realiable way to tell for sure, now do fork out the cash for it? And if I do, what if it really wasn't need? what a dilema! I think I'll just buy the kit from ecs and take it to the guy that used to work on my a/3 jetta and thow myself at his mercey. Lord knows I won't go to M______ vw/scion here in Fresno, as stated they are crooks. What should I expect to pay for labor for this job? I'm thinking of the Ulitimate kit with the underdrive pulleys. Any opinons on that one? Or should I just stick with the regular kit w/o the pulley? Thanks for the advice guys...Oh btw, firs time poster, if ya didn't catch the post in the neewb section...
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Ciferbug said:
Ok I know this thread is a bit old, and I know there is like 20 of them on this topic, but I am hoping and praying this isn't me anytime soon. I Really don't know if the 1.8t I just bought has had this service, (i pray it has) and if there is no realiable way to tell for sure, now do fork out the cash for it? And if I do, what if it really wasn't need? what a dilema! I think I'll just buy the kit from ecs and take it to the guy that used to work on my a/3 jetta and thow myself at his mercey. Lord knows I won't go to M______ vw/scion here in Fresno, as stated they are crooks. What should I expect to pay for labor for this job? I'm thinking of the Ulitimate kit with the underdrive pulleys. Any opinons on that one? Or should I just stick with the regular kit w/o the pulley? Thanks for the advice guys...Oh btw, firs time poster, if ya didn't catch the post in the neewb section...
Takes upwards of 5 hours to do. Budget for 6 or 7 hours labor... I don't know the hourly rate you will be charged. Most VW places charge $100/hour. The average cost per hour in my parts at other non-vw places is around $75 - $80/hour.

If you give the guy a hand you may be able to get the price down. It's worth a try anyway... but... depending on your mileage.. I would do it soon.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top