NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bentley (eBahn) Repair Manual on CD ROM Won't Run on Vista

I can't get it to run on my Mocrosoft Vista Operating system. I know it is not officially Vista compatible yet but what have others done to get it to work on a Vista PC, if doable? I've already tried changing to " administrator" and downloading most current version of eBahn Reader.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Have you looked @ the bentley ebahn faq's in the support section? This info should help; they have some work arounds for Vista: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/faqs/Windows+7,+Vista+and+XP+Compatibility

I am running Windows 7 home; not pro. So, I ended up just installing xp on a second hard drive and booting into it, running ebahn that way. However, if you upgrade to windows 7 pro; apparently it can run in "xpmode".

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
And I would not look for it ever to be compatible with Vista; I don't think many softare writers are wasting their time anymore, and MS gave up on trying to fix it. As to Windows 7, I'm sure it can be no worse than Vista (how could it?), but that jury is gonna be out for a long time. I have newer laps that I don't/won't use with Vista and W7, TG for XP and my old, trusty VAIO!

Biily's right, the work around as discussed on the Bentley site is your only option I have ever seen in print.

Have you considered trashing the Vista OP on your computer and running XP instead? Worth the effort and money! Or order a new one loaded with XP from the git go. XP is not going anywhere and still going to be around for a long time (IMHO!).

MORAV

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked @ the bentley ebahn faq's in the support section? This info should help; they have some work arounds for Vista: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/faqs/Windows+7,+Vista+and+XP+Compatibility

I am running Windows 7 home; not pro. So, I ended up just installing xp on a second hard drive and booting into it, running ebahn that way. However, if you upgrade to windows 7 pro; apparently it can run in "xpmode".
Did all fixes according to website. Program still won't run. If I click anywhere in eBahn Reader it says "program not responding" and the thing hangs. I'll call tech support tomorrow. Hey, does this book come in paper? I'd be happy w that. Geo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't get it to run on my Mocrosoft Vista Operating system. I know it is not officially Vista compatible yet but what have others done to get it to work on a Vista PC, if doable?

Thanks,
George
I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.
If you have an startup icon on your desktop, right mouse click on the icon and a dialog box pops up...choose the “Compatabity” tab and check the box that says: “Run this program in compatabity mode for:” and choose Windows XP.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.
If you have an startup icon on your desktop, right mouse click on the icon and a dialog box pops up...choose the “Compatabity” tab and check the box that says: “Run this program in compatabity mode for:” and choose Windows XP.
Tried it but still doesn't work. Keep getting (not responding) message. Thanks anyway, Geo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't get it to run on my Mocrosoft Vista Operating system. I know it is not officially Vista compatible yet but what have others done to get it to work on a Vista PC, if doable? I've already tried changing to " administrator" and downloading most current version of eBahn Reader.

Thanks,
George
I called eBahn. Fix was I also had to set up a "Scan Exclusion" (C:\Program Files(x86)\eBahn) in Norton Anti Virus software. Apparently, Norton Anti Virus software (as well as other anti virus software programs) perceives eBahn as a virus. At least this is the case in a Vista Operating environment.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Glad you got it running; so, I guess it wasn't the OS but a anti virus third party software issue.... interesting! So far; whenever I have called Bentley for tech support; they have always helped me out! Good info to know about eBahn and antivirus software... thanks for telling us what was up! :)
PS: there is not paper equivalent that I know of; the paper manual has less info and doesn't go as in depth as the ebahn software... I have both manuals. eBahn, is the only way to go, IMHO! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks,
George
Oh, and eBahn tech support had to do one more thing, (b/c of a runtime error) had to change a dll file name from IETAG.DLL to OLDIETAG.DLL. The software still runs slow/sort or quirky ... freezes up sometimes. Maybe I have to try installing the software on an old Windows XP computer I still have running.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks,
George
This software is a real dog ... at least on a Vista PC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks,
George
Now on the other hand, is eBahn known to run effortlessly on Windows XP? If so, no setting changes, dll file name changes, or virus software issues? TU

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Thanks,
George
Epilogue: You have to be sure you "Configure[+]" (disable) Norton anti virus software correctly in the "Scan Exclusions" function in both "Scan Exclusions" & "Auto-Protect Exclusions" AND make sure you check the "include subfolders" check box in each to get eBahn to work normally in a Vista environment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts