NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a Bently have the time to look up the procedure for getting the lower control arms off so I can replace the control arm bushings? I will also need to replace the driver side inner tie rod end.

Growler is in desperate need on this work and I do not have a bently to know which bolts might need replaced or the proper procedure to get these off the car and replaced properly (torque values etc)

below is a pic showing part numbers for what I am replacing.

THANK [email protected] :cowbell:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Front control arm bushings, ect.

My Bentley manual does not give the exact procedure for this removal and bushing replacements. Looking at the diagram in my Bentley, I think that this replacement of the control arm bushings, ect. should be left up to a VW tech. that knows the exact procedure and has the correct tools that are required for removal and re-installation of the bushings in the control arm. There seem to be many little requirements for this to be done correctly, like positioning the bushing with the correct side facing a certain way, esp. the rear. All bolts and nuts should always be replaced and in addition to the front and rear control arm bushings, the bushing that attaches the rear of the control arm to the frame, should also be replaced at this time. The new bushings must be lubricated when they are being pressed in with an acid free lub., such as soft soap. It goes on and on...
My tech that I use at my VW service center could do this job without having to remove or disturb the wheel bearings, ect. When he replaced my CV boots and clamps, he did it in a manner that Bentley did not mention at all. It was a short cut thats used by VW techs, if they are experienced, ect.
As far as the "inner tie rod" goes, our cars only have an outter tie rod end that has a direct screw in connection to the rack on the inner side thats covered by a type of boot with clamps on each end to provide the needed room for travle in and out and attaches to the bearing hub with an adjustable end link that is removable without removing the boot. It is really pretty straight forward if done with the right tools, ect. Of course after any of the preceeding service has been done, an alignment will have to be done.. Good Luck, and sorry I do not have more specific info for you... JK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts