VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been looking into a dash gauge pod for my NB but am stuck on one thing.

I have looked at the Autometer and the Bernt gauge pod but the autometer looks like it just sits on top of the factory piece and the Bernt pod looks like it replaces the factory piece in the middle there.

Can anyone tell me which one does what or if they both do the same thing and the Bernt pod is just a cleaner finish? I want quality but I also want a gauge pod that will replace that piece rather than sit on top of it and create a problem for wiring.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
last i knew, bernt is the direct replacement, and sits flush, where autometer mounts on top of the exisiting piece, and is a little off.

(i dont own either one, thats just what ive read around the org.)

good luck finding a bernt pod tho, ive heard theyre hard to come by.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
ive also seen that pretty much everyone that has an autometer pod wishes they had bought the bernt instead.

and i know when it comes time for me to get a pod, i'm going bernt.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Bernt: replaces the factory pannel, more OE-looking, more expensive, gauges farther from the driver, may need to be "messed with" to fit perfectly

Autometer: fits over the factory pannel, less OE looking, less expensive, gauges closer to the driver

The choice is yours. I bought an autometer one because I got it for a great price.

You can always go custom and take matters into your own hands, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Red Rider got the Bernt one from www.aiwana.com recently for about $120 if I remember correctly. I don't think its on their website though - you have to call to order it.

I think it looks awesome - especially compared to the autometer one.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
manoverboard987 said:
good luck finding a bernt pod tho, ive heard theyre hard to come by.
Well I found one, but the price tag on it definately makes me wonder about it. I mean for that much money I could buy a replacement piece from the dealership and make my own gauge pod since I have a fair hand with fiberglass and such.

I had sort of figured that the Bernt pod would be a factory replacement given the nature of the price, but I didnt know if maybe the autometer one would replace as well and it just didnt look as good and that was why it was priced lower than the Bernt.

Since it's not an immediate need I guess I will just keep shopping for Bernt and in the mean time plan out a custom pod. If I find a cheaper Bernt pod somewhere or figure out a workable custom model then I will just do that.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Got my bernt pod from abd racing -they bought bernt out and are making bernt products. The pod is very nice you get a low profile look. As mentioned you may have to make a few minor changes to make it fit good.

Check out my thread(later pages) in old . org I have pictures of pod before and after and fitment suggestions.

Here is couple of pics of installed pod.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bernt looks like three little hills in the center of your upper dash.. Autometer looks like a small condo building sprung up in the same spot...too imposing looking IMO!

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I went with the Autometer CF pod and it is working great for now. I picked up a 2nd one, flat black, for cheap. I am planning to see about combining both of them in to one 6 guage pod.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Well, I looked at both the Bernt and the Autometer installed in a car before I made my decision.
The Bernt, to me anyway, puts the guages too far away from me and they are angled slightly up as well. The reflection from the sun glares out the faces also.
The Autometer, on the other hand, places the guages much closer, they are positioned perpendicular to the dash and are much easier to read, especially with the top down.
So, for me, it was the Autometer with VDO guages and 42 Draft Designs Perfect Match LED setup.
Guess it's individual preference here. Both pods do the job equally well IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts