VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Be careful when you say best, the Pioneer DEX P99R... But very expensive and requires separate amplifiers.

Might be too much headunit for what you are looking for.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe not the "best" but I would recommend Kenwood KDC-X597. Bluetooth streaming, hands free calling, multi color display. Got one for my daughter for Christmas. Buy from crutchfield.com and you will get all adapters included.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
big poster turned lurker.
2003 Turbo S
9,499 Posts
There really isn't a 'best'.

A lot of people are brand loyal one way or another, some people want specific features, or don't/wont use specific things.

There's no point in buying a $400+ radio if you're not going to use any of the extra features compared to a $150 one. (And SQ really isn't a concern unless you do go all out with all new speakers and separate amps and everything)

What are you looking for and what is your budget?

·
Registered
41 Posts
For 2004 new beetle. Looking to replace my daughters stereo for her birthday. Thanks
Like it was said, best is all opinion.
I just ordered this pioneer yesterday and it has all the features i want
Pioneer MVH-X560BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
i like pioneers and installed one on my daughters GLS. Works great. I don't use CDs anymore so this works for me, and for $129.99 including the installation gear and instruction sheet you can't go wrong. I also like the fact that the stereo depth is shorter than normal so it gives plenty of room for the harness. Here is a video Pioneer MVH-X560BT InCar Multimedia Receiver - YouTube

·
Registered
712 Posts
I doubt it, but they do support mp3 and other digital formats. You can put all the music that would be in your changer onto one mp3 cd. Even better, you can put hundreds of CDs onto one USB flash drive and play it from there! Cd changers are cool retro devices from the '90's. Kinds like the '80's VCR's but without video!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I doubt it, but they do support mp3 and other digital formats. You can put all the music that would be in your changer onto one mp3 cd. Even better, you can put hundreds of CDs onto one USB flash drive and play it from there! Cd changers are cool retro devices from the '90's. Kinds like the '80's VCR's but without video!

I agree, most new decks accept digital formats why even deal with a cd changer and cds.

Installed the Pioneer last night. Wow what a difference. For now i'm keeping the factory speakers as they sound awesome. Such a difference from the factory deck with a cassette adapter to my iphone. Probably going to install a small 8" sub in the trunk for some sound fill. Maybe a bazooka with built in amp so i don't loose to much trunk space. Good luck with your search. :goodjob:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a heads up. My new pioneer was keeping the monsoon amp on and drained my battery. Over the weekend I installed a relay to control the amp turning it with the radio on and off. here is the video I used to help me relay setup.
For the remote turn on from the stereo I did not run a cable, I tapped into the cd changer harness and used the switched 12v wire that is thicker than the rest and red in color. Works beautiful and no more dead battery. My daughters 2001 GLS with monsoon did not have that issue with her Pioneer deck. Good luck :thup:.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had great luck over the years with Alpine head units. I would look for the following traits, no matter which brand name you settle on, in a new head unit:

1] iPod/MP3 player control with USB cable

2] capability [or option with seperate parts] to control bluetooth for handsfree

3] MP3/WMA playback for dics

4] priced under $350

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Like it was said, best is all opinion.
I just ordered this pioneer yesterday and it has all the features i want
Pioneer MVH-X560BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
i like pioneers and installed one on my daughters GLS. Works great. I don't use CDs anymore so this works for me, and for $129.99 including the installation gear and instruction sheet you can't go wrong. I also like the fact that the stereo depth is shorter than normal so it gives plenty of room for the harness. Here is a video Pioneer MVH-X560BT InCar Multimedia Receiver - YouTube
Well, you've sold me on this one, seems like a lot of technology for the money. Did you pick-up a dash insert as well to fill in the "round" OEM Radio opening?

Thanks,

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
any purchase from crutchfield includes the accessories for installation. so if you pick the pioneer or any other radio they give them to you. They included to stereo removal tool, the dash kit, antenna adaptor and new beetle master sheet. Sometimes cruthfield can cost more, but with the freebies it adds up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with buying from Crutchfield. All parts, adapters, an instructions are included. My first purchase from them was in 91!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts