NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Time to unpimp ze auto!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Says it all in the title :) My OEM tape deck is kicking the bucket, and besides I'm tired of doing the iPod over the radio. The tape deck stopped working right after I bought it in 2011. Oh well, it happens. I know it's sacrilege to remove the round and replace with aftermarket but what are ya gonna do?

I'd like something that has an AUX input right on the deck. Bluetooth is a plus but not necessary. If it has a USB input that's a plus too but again, I can live without.

Since I have the Monsoon amp, do I need something special?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Suggest you get a later mode OE Monsoon head unit that supports Aux input and they also play MP3 CD's.

Suggest you read this - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html#post815827

Also check ebay for OE head units. I know you can buy a brand new OE style head unit for under $250, however, I purchased an OE head unit that was reworked with a new face plate and updated CD eject gears for about the same price.

Also you can get Aux added to your current head unit for around $60 or so if the problem is just with the cassette mechanism.

·
Time to unpimp ze auto!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggest you get a later mode OE Monsoon head unit that supports Aux input and they also play MP3 CD's.

Suggest you read this - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html#post815827

Also check ebay for OE head units. I know you can buy a brand new OE style head unit for under $250, however, I purchased an OE head unit that was reworked with a new face plate and updated CD eject gears for about the same price.

Also you can get Aux added to your current head unit for around $60 or so if the problem is just with the cassette mechanism.
Thanks! I did look into that but it's a bit expensive for me right now. Maybe down the road, but for now I just need my iTunes back!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Search user factoryradios on ebay. Mention that he has been contacted by a number of forum members to add Aux input to New Beetle cassette head units. I recall he does this for approximately $60. I think they will convert your radio, but it may also be possibly that they could offer an exchange service?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Check out Alpine. They have all the extras you mentioned and integrate rather nicely. Downside? Some models aren't keeping up with changes in Bluetooth and require firmware updates after purchase and have had glitches. Minus that, the sound with Monsoon is excellent.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Pioneer makes awesome head units that last years and years and years and sound absolutely superb. I got mine from WalMart for like $80 and it sounds just as good if not better than most of the ones my friends spent $300-400 on. The audio is crisp, clear, and will drive the factory speakers better than the stock one. Most of them support iPod, have the Aux jack on the front, and some of them have BlueTooth built in for about $100. Just look around on Amazon or what have you and see what you can find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts