NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pads are geting very worn and I am thinking of changing out my rotors with some preformance rotors at the same time I change the pads. My question is should I get slotted rotors, drilled rotors, or sloted and cross drilled rotors. Or if I am better off just going with OEM rotors. I put alot of miles on my car about 20,000 a year mostly hwy driving. My concern is that slotted or crossdrilled rotors will cause the brake pads to wear very fast does anyone have any info for me. I would appreciate it. Thank you

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Slotted or Drilled/slotted rotors MAY only wear your pads more if you are braking very hard, very often, like on a race track. And it still may not be that much.

For street use, especially if you drive mostly highway, they'll wear the same as stock.

For your purpose, you can go with whichever you want. You should see roughly the same pad wear with either, and it's really up to what you want to pay and if you want the look.

The best upgrade you can get is better brake pads and high temp brake fluid, like Super Blue, or Motul600.

Another good upgrade is the 12"Audi TT front brake upgrade.
It consists of 12" rotors and the (caliper)carrier from the TT, which repositions the caliper to fit the bigger rotor.
This will increase your surface area and brake torque, while using stock calipers and pads. (stock rotor is 11")
It costs @$220 for the carriers, but it's a very worthwhile upgrade IMO.

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
As NJ Turbo said, under normal driving conditions the slotted and/or drilled will not wear your pads any more then normal. I am currently running zimmermann drilled rotors and have been surprised by how long my pads have lasted. I have heard some people complain of cracks in there drilled rotors, but I have not faced this issue in the 3+ years running these rotors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts