NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've had my beetle for about almost a month now. I drive an 02' vw beetle turbo s. I have a Stage 1 Revo chip and an aFe cold air intake, pretty much everything else is stock.

I looked under the car with my mechanic and noticed the exhaust system is starting to rot and it's quite rusty since it's probably the stock metal exhaust system?

I want to replace the exhaust system to a stainless steel one but I don't know which is best for my beetle? I looked on the Revo website saying that when I upgrade to "Stage 2"(I'm not going to do a full upgrade which includes an inter cooler)I need these items. But it doesn't specifically say what "Turbo back exhaust with Decat or highflow catalytic convertor (2.5"-3.0" recommended)" I don't know much about these exhaust. Some information and guidance would help!

I know for a start that I should get a 2.5" one rather than 3" because I'm staying with the stock turbo on the beetle. I'm also a college student so money will be a little bit of an issue but helping me to find a good one with a good price would be much appreciated :)

I've looked at other forums but I started to get confused because some people bought items separately then welded them together...I just want one that is all together..

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It is probably cheaper to just go to an Exhaust shop and have them piece something together for you. I assume the Cat is still okay and you just want to replace the Cat Back system?
I just replaced mine with the OEM VW Stainless Steel exhaust system. It usually retails for 800+ dollars but they had a closeout sale for 149 bucks which was hard to pass on.
Unfortunately that was last October and it wouldn't have fit the Turbo S anyway.

Here is a Magnaflow Stainless Steel cat back system which looks pretty nice and the price isn't bad.

2002-2004 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE TURBO S MagnaFlow Exhaust - Stainless CatBack System 15667

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Techtonics Tuning sells full exhausts I believe.

·
2K2 Turbo S
92 Posts
I think I have the Borla in mine. (was in the car when I bought it). Probably pricey but well made. I like the sound. It is just loud enough to say its not stock but otherwise not overly loud at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cut mine off with a hacksaw, the blade cost $3. Not much cheaper than that.

If your turbo is stock I don't think you rally need a 3" or even a 2.5".
If you de-cat and get a higher flowing muffler, other than being louder than my diesel, there shouldn't be much for the turbo to push against with the stock 2.25" piping.

The ultra cheap solution:
Find a down pipe that will bolt to your turbo, check ebay. Find a long enough section of pipe to connect to that down pipe (like $10 at auto zone), then get the two welded or clamped together. If you want, attach a cat or a muffler. Just let that thing hang down under the car, and put the muffler and the cat in the middle of the car in that huge exhaust channel.

If I ever get a muffler I'll just attach it in there. I have a very unique sounding diesel, it is like an old V8. But this is the cheap utility way. If you want to spend money on the exhaust then just have a pipe welded to a flange and do it like that.

Anything aftermarket will generally be more expensive. An exhaust shop might be a good deal in comparison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts