NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to fix my rocker panels, left and right. Are these pieces critical to NB floorpan or integrity? in other words, should I let my body guy just patch them up or is worthwhile to get new ones and change them?

right side

left Side

Just for fun pix

I'm worried that water might get into the body from the hole on the left side. It rains a lot here in the tropics.

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
Ouch!

Is that damage from a speedbump?

As far as I know, the side skirts are actually part of the Beetle's body. Any repair to them has to be either with a slidehammer or lots of Bondo.

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
The rockers are filled with a waxy rustproofing in the factory.
Check out how I had mine fixed: CLICKY :)
BTW, they're still holding up great! :D

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Off-topic, but what color Beetle is that? Is it custom painted?

Many of us have damaged rocker panels. Mine weren't too bad so I let them be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off-topic, but what color Beetle is that? Is it custom painted?
She used to be Galaxy Blue (at least that is what I think the color is called, a deep blue for 2000 model year) and the previous owner applied the current color for a change of pace. Beneath the gasoline lid you can still see the original color :p

Thanks LBE for the pictorial. However, I'm still lacking insight as to all about the rocker panels. Are they integral to the structural fitness of the vehicle? do they have a reason of being besides the retro bug look?

I could just have them filled with bondo, sanded, and repainted but me thinks maybe it would be better to have them rebuilt. Then again, if they are there for looks only, no reason to un-weld them and take them down, etc. The info that they are filled with a waxy rustproofing from the factory sheds some light as to how I should proceed.

BTW, Ladybug looks great! congrats and kudos for rescuing her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts