VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to test drive some tomorrow.. Trying to narrow down the major decisions first. Then the fun ones (colors, etc) last. Was just wondering if the 2013/2014 1.8 and 2.0 are the same engines that have been in the older NB's I've been reading about on the forum?? And I would love your opinions on which are better... And what about the trans? I've read that the 2.0 automatics have had issues. I have wanted one if these cars for 20 years and the hubs has finally gave his blessing:) and I am big on maintenance but want to avoid any unnecessary problems. Thanks!!! This community is AWESOME!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
758 Posts
Depends if you want more power. I believe the 1.8 liter engine is the turbo engine and the 2.0 is non-turbo. We have the 2.0 BEV engine in our 2005 and while it feels fairly "peppy" mated to the 6 speed automatic, it is no speed demon. I'd test drive both to see if you think the added expense of the turbo is warranted. This would include not only the new car cost, but would also include possible long term maintenance issues associated with the turbo. In other words, if you don't need it, it's just something else that might go wrong with the car many years down the road.

As for the transmission, if you are comfortable driving a manual transmission, I'd test drive one to see if you like it. In terms of longevity, the manuals seem to hold up well, with the possible exception of the clutch, which is a "wear item" and sometimes needs replacing depending on how the car is driven.

Also, keep in mind that "routine maintenance" on these cars isn't cheap. Routine replacement of the timing belt will set you back upwards of $1000 if you have a VW dealer do the work. You can't skimp on this because if the belt breaks, you'll cause many thousands of dollars in damage to the "interference" engine in these cars. So, keep this in mind and start a "maintenance fund" for the car so you won't be blind sided with unexpected maintenance costs.

There is also another "ugly" truth about VWs that has been around for decades. Things break on them and when they do, they tend to me more expensive to repair than other makes of cars. If you want cheap maintenance, I'd get a Toyota or similar. But, VWs are much more fun to drive, IMHO, so I'm willing to take on the task of repairing my daughter's 2005 New Beetle Convertible myself because she loves the car so much. We've had her car for about 3 years and during that time I've had to replace the timing belt, both front window regulators, and the factory radio (was draining the battery). In all cases, I've done the work myself which has saved me a lot of money.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I am driving the 1.8 Saturday! I have read about the costly repair expenses associated with them, but I am willing to sacrifice that to FINALLY get me a beetle! That's one reason I am getting a brand new one so I know what it has been thru from mile 1!! Maintenance is key!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
758 Posts
Also, the cars you are looking at are just "Beetles", not "New Beetles".
Yes, VW changed the name by dropping "New". I suppose that the "New Beetle" has now been around for so long, it's not "New" anymore.

This site is still "newbeetle.org" and I doubt the name will ever be changed to insure people don't confuse this site for a "classic" Beetle site. My dad had one of those (1973 VW Beetle in light blue) and they're absolutely nothing like the FWD "New Beetle" or "Beetle".

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not sure that my comments are of any real value as our NBC is a 2003 2.0 with the Tiptronic 6-speed. We bought it new in February of 2003 and we were about the first in our area to take delivery of the convertible...thus we could not find any comments or recommendations about the car. You are certainly more fortunate as you have this forum to read and study.

As to the transmission I agree with Jeff2. If I buy another Beetle I will go with the manual transmission. Although I cannot speak concerning the newer Beetle and any updates and corrections made to the Tiptronic 6-speed, our 2003 NBC with the 6-speed Tiptronic transmission often has hard shifts (up and down) between some gears. Apparently it is a problem with the valve body, a costly repair, I am told. We have always babied the transmission because we have always sensed that it is going to fail...as it has for many. We just have no confidence in it. Having said that, we do have about 130K miles on it.... (we had a fluid change done at 80K). Also, the magnets in the shifter console quit working several years ago and hence we cannot manually shift the gears...

Our greatest complaint about our NBC concerns the window regulators, which must work correctly to raise and lower the windows (and thus the top). The rear window regulators have failed 5 times now (both are currently broken). That repair cost between $400-600 each window. The problem is just very shoddy engineering or perhaps the bean counters just cheaped out on the parts. Anyway, unless they have finally corrected this large problem on the newer models it is something to research and plan for.

As for the 2.0 engine we have never had any problems. We have had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat ect. changed, as general maintenance. My wife finds the 2.0 has plenty of power but I wish we had the Turbo. With the 2.0 you must be careful with you pass other vehicles and give yourself plenty of room.

We love our NBC in spite of the many trips to the dealer or other repair shops. Most of the smaller problems were covered under warranty the first five years....mostly electrical related problems. I am not big on extended warranties but I would check into one if it covered bumper to bumper.... Unless things have changed, make sure it covers window regulators and transmission problems.

You will love the car. We have made four trips from South Carolina to the Rocky Mountain States and to Canada in our car...three week trips each, so you can pack a lot into these little Bugs! There is just nothing like a rag-top for sightseeing!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've replaced both front window regulator cables in our '05 (not a terribly hard job to do yourself). The rear windows have not given us any trouble, yet.

If I bought a new VW, I'd buy an extended warranty for the thing, just for the peace of mind. Three of my co-workers also have VWs and they've all had problems under warranty and out of warranty (broken coolant hose, leaky sunroof, broken hatchback actuator (can't get into the back of a Tiguan easily without this working), broken turbo (on a Passat TDI) and broken diesel fuel pump (another Passat TDI). Luckily the problems with the TDIs happened under warranty, because replacing the turbo or the diesel fuel pump are both very expensive repairs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts