NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Recently purchased a 2001 1.8L Turbo beetle, and it's definitely got some issues. I'm not interested in fixing it, I'd rather just sell it. I really love the new beetles and I want to get a model that doesn't seem to have as many issues as mine. Any suggestions on what year to buy? I'm currently looking at purchasing a 1998 model, any issues with that one I should know about as well? Thanks in advance for the help! :p

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If you are looking for less issues, a '98 is probably not the one to get. They are the very first of these cars and can definitely have issues as such.

The biggest thing usually is maintenance history. If a car has been well maintained, its more likely to be more problem free.

Whats going on with your current car? Might be worth fixing. Then you know whats been done for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine definitely needs a new transmission, which is common for the 2001 to need transmission work, and I think I have an electrical problem.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
1. Get a 5 spd. Most autos have major issues. If you don't know to drive a manual, learn.
2. Find a reputable mechanic to look a prospective car over for you. This usually costs about $50-100. Well worth it.

Good luck on your search.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Hey guys,
Recently purchased a 2001 1.8L Turbo beetle, and it's definitely got some issues. I'm not interested in fixing it, I'd rather just sell it. I really love the new beetles and I want to get a model that doesn't seem to have as many issues as mine. Any suggestions on what year to buy? I'm currently looking at purchasing a 1998 model, any issues with that one I should know about as well? Thanks in advance for the help! :p
Let's see some pix of your problem child :). Interior pix too.
Huuummm ...what kind of electrical problems are you having?
How much $$ would you take for it??
:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maintenance is huge.... My '98 was crazy with tons of issues bought it at 34,000, sold it 6 years later at 64,000 after replacing ac compressor, condensor, broken water pump, bad plug wires, 2 sets of tires, fuse box on top of battery, coil, maf, sensors for the cooling fans, etc.

My '05 is at 107,000 - almost 100,000miles since I bought it, a totally different story. 2 cv boots, front bearings, 2 sets of tires, timing belt/water pump, plugs & wires. Plus valve body & rust repair on roof under warranty. (Now my mom's daily driver) after only 7,780 miles in 2.23 years, it has done 15-20,000 a year.

Both are 2.0 autos... My 3rd beetle is an '06 tdi with a 5 speed :)

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
1. Get a 5 spd. Most autos have major issues. If you don't know to drive a manual, learn.
2. Find a reputable mechanic to look a prospective car over for you. This usually costs about $50-100. Well worth it.

Good luck on your search.
Cori summed it up to perfection.

Keep in mind that you're getting into a used car. Even if you get an '06, you're getting a 7-year car. Wear and tear is commonplace on every used car, and a beetle is no exception. if you approach the new beetle, knowing that you're buying a car that's without a warranty and will be in need of eventually maintenance and repair, your beetle experience will be more enjoyable.

Stay away from the auto transmission and continue to use these very forums as your technical inquiry resource. Most of us have had the issues you might face and can save you time and money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts