VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question, I want to know what the best oil / filter is going to be for my beetle.

I've sifted through some of these forums, and Google and haven't found an answer that I was really looking for. I live in upstate NY, and winter is coming ( haha. .. GoT reference...) and I would like to get my oil changed before the snow comes.

I'd like to provide you fine folks with a little background. I just bought my beetle a week ago, and had been previously driving a 1992 Chrysler LeBaron. I have upgraded to a 2008 Beetle (triple white.. if that makes a difference?) with 33,500 miles on it. In my chrysler, I'd just stick in the high mileage Castrol and Fram filter in and call it a day. But I want to keep my bug nice. So what would you suggest?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Much depends on your personal brand preference; pretty much all the brands, sell oil that meets Volkswagens specification (502, 503, etc). I would use a oil; that meets the Volkswagen guidelines and you will be fine. I personally; have been using Amsoil in my turbo 1.8T and have been very happy with it.

This overview; about VW oil specifications and what spec your car requires , might be a good read:

http://www.blauparts.com/vw-oils/how-to-find-recommended-vw-oil-type.html#vwoiltype

Just go to the website; of the brand you prefer, lookup your car and see what they recommend for it. Here are some brands that are popular:

Castrol USA (most VW dealerships; seem to use Castrol)

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1?WT.mc_id=cpc_Google_Mobil1_mobil-1&WT.srch=1

Valvoline®

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Quality made in Germany.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
I use the Amsoil European Car Formula oil (5W-40 Mid-SAPS), Mann oil filters, and Amsoil Signature Series Multi-vehicle A/T fluid.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts