NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
I'm probably not answering your question specifically; neither Chilton or Haynes seem very good to me (both equally worthless), both being too basic for many things you need to know (lack of depth and pictures, diagrams, wiring info etc.). I recommend getting the Bentley eBhan software version for the most in depth coverage or you might get Erwin online subscription for one day and download all the manuals you need. NOTE: Bentley has two (2) manuals: the paper version and the software based eBahn, the eBahn covers much more then the paper version. The software based subscriptions; give you access to tech bulletins, current updates, campaign info and other resources, that you will never get with a paper based manual.

eBahn Bentley license (download from the web; cheaper price then DVD)
eBahn License for Volkswagen New Beetle 1998-2009 Â*-Â* Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

eBahn Bentley repair manual on DVD (hard copy sent to you)
Volkswagen New Beetle: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 including Convertible Repair Manual on DVD-ROM Â*-Â* Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

paper service manual Bentley
VW - Volkswagen New Beetle Service Manual: 1998-2010 Â*-Â* Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

Erwin subscription based manual: downloadable .pdf based files
https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
chiltons

chiltons have more pictures explaining steps (For simpletons like me):p instead of just wording like the Haynes. If you plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off than the Bentley is your ticket. With a Chilton and newbeetle.org is the way to go man IMO.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've always preferred Chilton's to Haynes on my other cars, but they're about the same in terms of what they cover. For my Crown Victoria, I picked up a Haynes at 1/2 Price Books really cheap.

For our New Beetle Convertible, I "bit the bullet" and paid for a brand new Bentley manual. I chose the actual book rather than the CD/DVD version because I'm not comfortable having a laptop in the garage when I'm working on cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts