NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the occasions that I am left on my own for dinner time I am a what's in the fridge and what can I do with it kinda girl.

Tonight I had some leftover Prime Rib. Normally I'd make a salad and top it with the leftover steak sliced real thin and flashed in a pan with a lil onion and drizzle a thrown together vinaigrette made with; balsamic vinegar, EVOO and whatever dark jam is on hand.

There is no salad fixins to be had.

Half a red onion though and always at the ready a big jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Slice up the red onion and caramelize in a non-stick pan with spray oil.

Add thinly sliced steak along with sliced sun drieds. Add some kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and throw in a dollop spreadable honey and a dash of Worcestershire right at the end.

The best of sweet, salty and savory----YUM!

So what's the best meal you've thrown together with what's leftover and just plain left?

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I had grilled up some yellowfin tuna steaks, but only got through about half of what I'd cooked. I heated it the rest of the way through and made tuna salad. It was the most expensive one I'd ever had, but also the best.

Not very daring, but it's all I've got.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I had some leftover fresh spinach from night before last and used it as a bed in my steamer for my littleneck clams.

Little water, Little good beer, freshly cleaned clams, cook em til the clams say ahhhhhhhhhh...
Little drawn butter and lemon juice and suck em down.

Bought a big bag of em from Costco and ate the whole thing myself. Gluttony? Perhaps, but more like greed. Besides, clams are tiny on the inside.

john

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Left over taco meat mixed into a box of macaroni and cheese and spoon of sour cream and gaucamole!

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WNAB911 said:
Left over taco meat mixed into a box of macaroni and cheese and spoon of sour cream and gaucamole!
OMG---I've done that too!

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Mammal Florentine

Came up with this idea and it hasn't failed yet in any variation. When there is leftover meat (beef, pork, lamb, or chicken) I cube it up, and cook it with equal amounts of mushrooms and onions until all are browned/sauteed. It works best if all chunks are cut up to about the same size, say 3/4 inch. Once done, add a cup of chicken broth. Then, toss in a box of frozen chopped spinach. Yes, without the box, and thoroughly thawed and drained of all water. Salt and pepper to taste, and sometimes I toos a bit of garlic in. Once it all comes to temperature, it is ready to serve - in a bowl, or over rice or noodles.

If you want a thicker sauce, double the chicken stock, and use a thickener. Personally, I don't like arrowroot or cornstarch, as they can make the consistency odd. Try my secret - use instant potato flakes, sparingly, as a thickening agent. they are fairly neutral in taste, dissolve quickly, and are nutrative. They can be used to thicken everything from sauces to gravy to soups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts