NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Guys,

My father just picked up a Yellow 2000 Beetle with the 2.0 at an auction last weekend for my baby sister. It's actually in pretty good shape for a 2000.

When we were at the auction, we drove it around the parking lot and and I knew there are issues with their water pumps, so I checked fluid and it looked good, then I parked it up on a cement pad and walked away and let it run for a few minutes. Came back and everything looked good, didn't see any leaks and the heater was cranking out hot air. Gave my dad the thumbs up and when it came across the line he bought it.

Well.... half way home on a 60 mile trip the red temp light came on, I pulled it over and turned it off. Let it cool down and checked fluid in the overflow and it was empty. Topped it off and went home. Ran great the rest of the trip. Thought maybe it just had an air bubble in the system or something, but when I got home and put it in the shop, I noticed the overflow was almost empty again. I refilled and started it in the shop and now I am getting a pretty steady flow of coolant coming from the passanger side in the area below where the water pump is. Didn't really have time to check it before work, so I just shut her down. I figure its either the O-ring on the pump or the bearing.

Either way, I can't find anything written on any of the covers, under the hood or in the owners manual where someone has given me a date or mileage as to when they have changed the pump, and the engine is at 120k so I'm going to go ahead an do it before my sister starts to drive it.

I've read about the pumps with the plastic impeller, so I'm going to avoid them, but is there a water pump/timing kit out there that is better or higher quality then others? I buy a lot of parts from Advance Auto, but the only kit they have I believe has a plastic impeller. Rock Auto has a kit by AC Delco with a metal impeller, Timing Belt and Tensioner. I'm thinking that might be the winner, but wanted to see if there are other kits out there with better equipment more complete with maybe a thermostat, new bolts, etc. before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
ECSTuning has a lot of good kits. This one is what I would probably buy: Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 Engine Timing ES#8452 ECS Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 06A198500

Got the parts needed, metal impeller pump, and the proper coolant (G13 is the new coolant. Its compatible with G12 from what I understand). You definitely need a kit with the motor mount bolts, as those are one time use stretch bolts. I've seen more than a few times people re-use the bolts and then they break, causing the mount to move and the engine to fall a bit. Not good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ECSTuning has a lot of good kits. This one is what I would probably buy: Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 Engine Timing ES#8452 ECS Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 06A198500

Got the parts needed, metal impeller pump, and the proper coolant (G13 is the new coolant. Its compatible with G12 from what I understand). You definitely need a kit with the motor mount bolts, as those are one time use stretch bolts. I've seen more than a few times people re-use the bolts and then they break, causing the mount to move and the engine to fall a bit. Not good.
That's the kit I bout last June with an valve cover gasket also. Made my car run so much better. (Also did sparkplugs/coilpack)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
MJM Autohaus

I bought two water pump/timing belt kits from these folks online already and never had quality issues. Good german parts for the price. MJM Autohaus.com Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts