NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So I am working on a 2004 New Beetle Convertible with a 2.0 BGD engine. The motor mounts took a hit when my kid was doing some offroading So a broken ear and a bolt broken in the block to a point of no return. I decided to purchase a used motor off ebay that was claimed as a BGD engine, but when it arrived it had the BDC engine sticker.

My question is will I have any issues with the ECU or am I fine?

Please advise.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Common problem! Maybe, just use one of these block saver kits and that way, you don't have to do a engine swap?

VanGogh Broken Engine Block Saver for 2.0 Gas Engine

These two engine codes; in the service manuals, seem to be in the same family but lately, we are seeing that some external accessories are different (plastic intake manifolds; seem to be different)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Common problem! Maybe, just use one of these block saver kits and that way, you don't have to do a engine swap?

VanGogh Broken Engine Block Saver for 2.0 Gas Engine

These two engine codes; in the service manuals, seem to be in the same family but lately, we are seeing that some external accessories are different (plastic intake manifolds; seem to be different)?

Ha, well the VanGogh Block saver only works with the upper ear on the block. This happened to the lower ear on the block and the bolt sheared in the block. The bolt that goes under the timing cover housing. I did purchase the block saver for the new engine to beef it up. Don't want to take this chance again.

The manifolds and piping for the BDG look identical as the BDC. I am worried more about the ECU needing a swap.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I don't know about ecu compatibility; if the long block itself is mechanically the same, you could transfer the external accessories off the old to the new engine. I would assume, things would then work (same parts, connectors, sensors, etc); as the externally different parts would be the same, This is assuming theoretically they are essentially the same; I'm not aware of other members, that have done this yet. You could closely compare each one, then strip both engines down, transfer anything you need to; see if there are any differences and confirm compatibility that way?

You might post on the 2.5L engine area on vwvortex; they might be able to confirm any engine code differences:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again the middle motor mount bolt had sheared off into the block and would be a pain in the ass to remove and re-tap. The block is already compromised with a broken ear and so a new engine is my best bet.
I did a thorough look over the engine last night and as far as I can tell they are identical, all the pipe routing seems to be the same, same throttle body.

I plan on swapping some parts over that I had replaced on the existing motor, 3 months old timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, plugs wires and other bits.

The car is a convertible 2004 and the interior and for the most part the rest of the vehicle are in excellent condition. No tears in seats, no rust what so ever being in a desert state.

This is a pure project car trying to keep most things stock, It is fun to drive around town, slow as crap but that is OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts