NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Well its look like this Sunday was not my day :(

Today I was driving my 2009 2.0 with only 45,000kms and suddenly I was seen smoke under the hood and it was smelling burn plastic/rubber.

I stop, open the hood and the back of the electric motor on the big radiator fan was smoking hard. After waiting for all the smoke to goes away, I saw that the brown/ground) wire that comes out from the big fan electric motor was so hot that melt the plastic wire insulation and causing the smoke.

The fan was completely locked/stuck. I try to turn it by hand but was hard to turn it. Its look like the fan get stuck and this cause the wire to get overheated and melt the plastic insulation......Also the back of the electric motor was fu.. HOT that I got a small burn in my hand :mad:

After some minutes trying to unlocked the fan, it goes free and begin to turn.

Since I was thinking that the electric motor will stop working again and causing the same smoking, I cut the brown wire and run the car only with the small fan to get to my house.

Tomorrow I will buy a new fan.

So the question here.

Have any of you has experience this problem with a locked/stuck fan?

I was aware that usually the problem with these fans is that the slow speed stop working and only the hi speed work but never hear of problem like mine.

Any comments,

THX,

Isaac

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It could just be that some road debris got caught between the fan and the fan shroud and prevented it from turning. Electric motors draw a much higher current when they are stalled (not allowed to turn with voltage applied). The fuse for the fan low speed is 30 amps so the current must have been less than that, but still enough to overheat the wiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts