VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I know there are previous posts on this but many links don't work anymore so I'm going to ask again.
I have a 2004 NB convertible turbo, what are the options for a bike rack that holds 2 bikes? I've seen the Bird Automotive model but isn't there a cheaper option? I don't have a hitch, would that be a more convenient option?
thanks!

·
Silver Vert
72 Posts
Looks a little pricey, I would go with the trailer hitch and full supported bicycle carrier for about the same money. I have 2 bicycles that cost almost 4 grand combined. I was a trucker for many years and have seen bicycles hit the roads and mangle the car and bicycle bouncing on the end of a security cable. Not only do I not want to damage my car or bicycle if your going to invest $400 or so I also want the option to tow a small trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not a lot of options with a Vert! Without seeing and knowing a little more as to the mounting of the "pea shooters" and the guage of the tubing used, etc, I can't speak for the quality or durability of the unit, but seems to be a very innovative idea. Trunk storability might be a plus. As to pricey, what isn't? Probably in line with pricing on quality roof racks like Thule. I would not rule it out unless you want the trailering option. Just my $.02.

MORAV

·
Silver Vert
72 Posts
Well I bought everything through Etrailer. I bought a Curt hitch for about $180 and the 2 bicycle carrier for $190 & installed it myself. There are a number of options for hitches and bicycle carriers. Personal I did not like that Bird carrier you posted the link to.

I am a bicycle enthusiast & do century rides, bicycle commuting of 50 miles round trip and many 60 and 70 mile rides all year.

I have a lot of money tied up in my bicycles & 1 thing I can say is I don't like carries where the bicycle is suspended from the top tube. Bicycles should be supported by their wheels not swinging on their top tubes. Convertibles do have limited options but they have the best option for the safety of the car and the bicycles in my personal opinion.

Everyone has their own concept of what works for them & what works for me may not be the same for you. I love my bug and my bicycles. This is what works for me.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Very nice set-up, Timber! :)

·
Silver Vert
72 Posts
Very nice set-up, Timber! :)
Thank you, It is suppose to be a nice weekend coming up. I will post some pictures with both my touring bike and my road bike shown on the carrier. I will also post pictures of how to secure the bicycles to the car.

One thing I would mention is to always buy the option to carry 2 bicycles if you can work it into your budget. It is always likely you will want to do rides with a friend. I drive to rail-trails all over the place and I do that with friends all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very nice setup AND bike, indeed!
how easy is it to put the rack on and off? we plan to use it every once in a while, to drive to trails and get out of the city, but certainly we aren't as active as you :)
I'll wait for your pics!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Timber, I think we're going down the hitch road ourselves. The Curt and the Hidden Hitch models seem good. Another question for you (or others): how easy is it to install the hitch and what tools do you need? Do you have to drill holes? My boyfriend might do it but we don't have many tools so if it requires something special we might as well ask our mechanic.
Thanks!

·
Silver Vert
72 Posts
I installed The Curt hitch. I had to drill 5 fresh holes in the spare tire tub and 1 hole in the tiedown had to be drilled out bigger. A small cordless drill will be fine. It was very easy to do. I liked the Curt hitch the best because it was the least invasive to the exhaust system and heat shield. So you need a 3/8 drill with as small drill body. a 1/2 inch drill bit that will fit in a 3/8 chuck. 2 wrenches. and a few other smaller drill bits & a center punch. Be sure to take the spare tire out before you begin. Etrailer has all the instructions & diagrams beside all 3 of there hitches. It was very strait forward

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hummm... I like this.. wonder if I can get my hubs to make me something up... my younger two like to ride.. me and the older boy, not so much, so two would be just fine for us...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I own a bike and which have started making noise after when I speed up it above 200km/hour. I don't know if it's the pollution problem or petrol but I want to repair it, living in downtown looking for a bike mechanic.

bike mechanic

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here's my set up which is almost the same as Timber. I suugest you to go with a similar hitch bar like he has. Mine has a straight hitch bar and I had to be always careful having often scratched when coming out of alleys/sidewalks. I haven't used it since I dropped the Bug... :flipper: 2 summers ago and since my knee...:nopity:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all! I have an '08 beetle hardtop. I'm looking into various options for bike racks. I know it's been a beat since y'all have discussed these, but I'm wondering if any of them are still in use, are they holding up okay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I came across it on my recent search for a bike rack also so thought I would add to it in case it helps someone else going forward. I had been hauling my road bike in an extra vehicle until that had car trouble and even when I was left with my vert I was able to drop the top, load my bike, put up my top and drive to meetup locations. Of course this option would not be great for traveling long distance or once I decided to invest in a mountain bike.

I initially contacted the dealership and they offered zero info regarding a hitch for a vert beetle. My local bike shops all recommended Uhaul so I just wound up just having a hitch installed there for $220 and going with the Kuat rack.

I did find the etrailor website helpful but if I had ordered the hitch from there finding someone to install it would have been a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't have pics of ours, but our setup looks similar to that of "Mister" above. In our case I bought the hitch from eTrailer and installed it with the help of my oldest daughter (it's her car). This wasn't too hard but did require cutting and bending a bit of the exhaust shield and drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the spare tire well. It was moderately difficult to install (by comparison, our 2013 Sienna's hitch was very easy to install).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts