NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm wanting to try out Biodiesel. I'd like to hear from some people that use it. Also a very silly question: once I've put biodiesel in my tank, is it safe to put regular diesel in it again?

Thanks!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Biodiesel and regular #2 diesel will mix in any ratio from B1 to B99. Adding regular #2 diesel to a tank that has biodiesel in it will just dilute the biodiesel content.
First a couple of cautions.
VW recommends no more than a B5 blend.
Biodiesel is a solvent and can loosen the crud in the fuel system. This can clog the fuel filter.
Water is not your friend. Biodiesel will absorb water out of the air. The water is bad for the injection pump and the injectors. Some injector failures have been reported where higher blends have been used. It is thought that the water content going through the hot injectors flashed to steam and caused damage to the inside of the injector.

Now, the good parts.
Biodiesel is a very good injection pump and injector lube.
Biodiesel will lower all emissions except NOx.
Biodiesel will lower the soot produced (no more dirty back bumper).
Biodiesel or someother additive should be used with low sulfur fuel to protect the injection pump and injectors.

I have used biodiesel for over 100k miles without any problems to the fuel system.

Try it and enjoy!

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I second all that stuff from Hannaco

I've filled up with B20 and B100 without issues. It feels good to support our economy and the people out there getting alternative fuels more viable.

You should have no problem just pulling up and filling up when you can and have the opportunity. Don't worry about switching back and forth.

Depending on where you are though...if you run it in the winter you might want to consider an additive to help keep it from gelling I believe. Not sure what you keep it from doing...but I know people who run Bio in colder climates usually add something. Or they run it at less concentrated amounts...so they might run B50 (1/2 tank of B100 mixed with 1/2 tank of regular diesel). Just something to think about.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
There are a few "Arctic" fuel additives that can be used. To check how your blend is going to work, take a sample and put it in a jar. Next put the jar in the freezer for a while. Is it still liquid, or did it turn to jello? If it is still liquid, take the temperature of the fuel. That is a safe operating temperature for that fuel blend.
If it turned to jello, warm it up until it is again liquid. Add in a measured amount of #2 diesel, and put back into the freezer. Keep doing this until you end up with liquid in the jar. You now know what bled is safe to use.
If you want, also add in a small amount of the Arctic fuel additive. This should depress the cloud point of the fuel.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Hi there,
Yes, the simple answer is that you can pour biodiesel and petro-diesel in any amounts in any order. Once the car takes the first turn it will all be mixed together and run super. And even a small of biodiesel in the mix will make noticeable difference: less or no smoke, quieter idle, etc.

People are naturally confused because the idea out there is that to go with an alternative fuel you have to "convert" your vehicle in some way. But with biodiesel you don't!

Now, it it's different during the winter if it is under 40F degrees outside:
(1) biodiesel and petro-diesel do not mix as well when it's colder.
(2) you can't have just biodiesel in the tank when it's below 32 F, you need to have both.

But again, pouring biodiesel in now way prevents you from pouring the petro right after.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts