NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2015 beetle is Candy White. It's just a fleet edition. But she's coming around nice I think. First it was all factory. Then I played with the wheel color on the factory 16" rims. Went white with Plasti dip. Looked great for a month. Then went down from there. Peeled it off back to factory. So I then took the plunge and I painted them black. That was a job. She sat on jacks in the garage for a week. The rims had some nicks in them. Long story short. After much wet sanding with different grits and primer and more sanding. I now have black rims. Then I was in a painting mood and after looking at some pictures of nice Bug's. I added some touches of blue. Not sure if I should do the calipers or not. I'm just doing a small idea at a time. I don't want to over do it with the blue. I just don't want to be like every other white Bug. I also played with the rear tail light. I got some 35% window tint and just put a piece on it and sat it back on the car. I didn't like it. Just didn't do it for me. Looks good on other car's, but I just didn't like the look. Even though it was not dark. Just 35%. She's a slow work in progress.😉Hope you like it. Give me your input ☺ I'll post my stereo system in that topic section. I did the last two today.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did this today. I had only done the splash pan right in front under the bumper. But I wanted to fix those scrap's from rubbing the corners on steep enter and exit driveways. So paint the whole front bumper and hope that they can match the new paint with the old. Or I can just save a ton of money and just do the bottom blue and put the splash pan back flat black. I did remove the splash pan before I painted. Thinking about the calipers next. Idk yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Interesting, it looks like your theme is beginning to take shape; you might take some photos of the body of you car. Then, do some color and design studies; you could use drawing programs or use traditional colored pens, pencils, etc. to explore, ideas and color schemes.

The Beetle was used in the GRC racing series and looks similar to the classic 911 Porsche body design. You might look at GRC and historical Porsche racing cars for inspiration.

Online, the German Sunshine Beetle show, the Sidney Industries show car and various facebook Beetle groups like those from Czech Republic, they have some really great looking 2012+ Beetle customized cars, on there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, it looks like your theme is beginning to take shape; you might take some photos of the body of you car. Then, do some color and design studies; you could use drawing programs or use traditional colored pens, pencils, etc. to explore, ideas and color schemes.

The Beetle was used in the GRC racing series and looks similar to the classic 911 Porsche body design. You might look at GRC and historical Porsche racing cars for inspiration.

Online, the German Sunshine Beetle show, the Sidney Industries show car and various facebook Beetle groups like those from Czech Republic, they have some really great looking 2012+ Beetle customized cars, on there.
I've found a couple white one's, but they have red accents similar. I didn't think about a pic and a program. 👌👍 Painting it is the easy part 🤣 all the darn taping and prep is a time killer. But you get what you put in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.. did the calipers today.
A little darker blue, but I kinda like it.
So I took them off one at a time. I clamped the line right at the caliper, but I had a ' not thinking it through ' moment. I totally knew that I would lose the fluid out of the caliper and would still have to bleed the brakes. I was just thinking about the fluid coming out of the lines. 😕 I took them off because I'm anal and that's me. Most people just tape up and cover up stuff. But you can only get it so so clean and they paint over everything. I don't like that. Hope you like it. Used a t45 for the 2 caliper bolts and a 10mm for the line. 7/16 for the bleeder valve. Wire brush, drill with wire wheel, 320 w/d sandpaper, brake cleaner.. 1 can per caliper.. masking tape, and 2 cans of VHT caliper paint blue. 5 coats. 3 would be fine. Even with 5 coats I only used just a little bit more than a can for all. I just over kill. Razor blade. Pitcher of warm water to warm up the paint before use. 5 minutes soak is enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got lazy. Or smarter 🤔 this is much faster and easier than taking it off. Plus I didn't have to bleed them. Still looks fine. If it was a show car, then I'd just powder coat them. Just make sure you tape anything that you don't want to paint 😉

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts