VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up with the black interior? I've got dash and stuff out of an 02 turbo s and it feels like there is more than just paint going on here? Are these panels coated with something?

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
The sticky, funky stuff is VW's bright idea called "soft touch interior" Major fail:rant2: You're not exempt from this junk... we were all victim.

Here's a write-up chronicle of most of our removal adventures. Lots of info to help you out. Hope you'll chime in on your project.

CLICK HERE for the help you need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sticky, funky stuff is VW's bright idea called "soft touch interior" Major fail:rant2: You're not exempt from this junk... we were all victim.

Here's a write-up chronicle of most of our removal adventures. Lots of info to help you out. Hope you'll chime in on your project.

CLICK HERE for the help you need.
oh boy! Every time I look I find something new to deal with...lmao...I'm an old Mustang guy so I actually like this sort of thing, my wife however, is wanting the car done "yesterday" and is not so happy.

I keep telling her it's going to take a while and I only do things one way, the right way...takes a while to research and learn all this stuff.

I think when I get her's done I might buy myself a Beetle next year haha.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I have the black interior, and I have no problems. Save a duct-tape mod on my driver seat. But no sticky stuff. None of the five I've had had it. I wonder if it's a regional thing, like hot, humid climate, or happens everywhere?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I think it the age old theory. Seeing as this crap has a rubber like texture, the older it gets, the worse it gets.
I would imagine the hotter climates tend to break down faster.
I scold my wife every time she throws something up on the dash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have all black interior and I've actually been able to scrape this gross coating off of some of the more scuffed up parts just using my finger nails and then following up with cleaner and a rag. It looks so much nicer to have the smooth 'plastic' surface thats under it all. My dash right under the windshield seems to be in pretty good shape though, I really wouldnt want to tackle that much scraping and buffing to get it off. But for door handles and the smaller parts it works like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts