NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2008 new beetle convertible about a month ago. In looking at what needs done maintenance wise, we discovered that the brake fluid needs changed every two years. My question is do I need to bleed the clutch as well and in what order do I bleed everything? I have read the other forum postings on this topic, and some say to bleed the front brakes first, then the rear, followed by the clutch. Other postings say to do the rear first, then the fronts, followed by the clutch. Also, I understand that brake fluid attracts moisture, and the hazards associated with that, but is the VW much more susceptible to fluid failure? I have never heard of a vehicle needing this done every two years? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Almost all the German manufacturers recommend a full brake fluid change every 2 years. This is a very good idea, in the US, the car makers do not suggest/require this as it would then bring the cost of maintenance up to high.

Usually the rule of thumb is the furthest brake away from the master cylinder then work to toward the closest brake. This can sometimes be confusing depending on how the brake lines are routed.

Not sure on the VW clutch, but on the BMW the clutch uses brake fluid from the top of the reservoir. If this is the case, I would likely bleed the clutch last if it shares fluid from the brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I change my fluid every two years. This is VERY important with VW Audi. Now I use that interval on all my cars.

VW and Audi strangely recommend a bass ackwards bleed pattern of the following order:

Drivers front
Passenger front
Drivers rear
Passenger rear
Clutch

Use a power bleeder and this is a very easy job. Make SURE to only use DOT4 fluid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts
For what it is worth, I have found this the best bleeder ever.

V-12 Brake Bleeder Tool Kit

Worth the money. Reverse bleeds and un-reverse bleeds.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
V-12 Brake Bleeder Tool Kit

Worth the money. Reverse bleeds and un-reverse bleeds.
Too expensive in my opinion.

You can get the Motiv bleeder for about $50, Motive Power Brake Bleeder Tool - BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche - Turner Motorsport

But even this can be a waste of money. Even if you use something like the Motiv, you still need to do the old fashion 2 person pump the pedal method to really bleed the brakes. I look at the Motiv and other tools as fluid flushers, not bleeders.

Removing air in the system is not always easy, sometimes you need a lot of pressure and even a rubber mallet to beat the calipers at times to get all the air out of a brake system.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've used a Motive at least 16 times. Used it on Audi, VW, Chevy, Ford, Nissan. I have NEVER needed to do a two person bleed after. I have used it for flushes with just pad replacement, after caliper changes, and after brake line changes. It is a great tool that all DIY'rs should consider.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You may have had good luck with the Motiv bleeder and there is nothing wrong with the Motiv unit, however, I wanted to make sure folks fully understood that the Motiv bleeder may need to be supplemented with old fashioned 2 person brake bleeding if the pedal still seems a bit soft.

Here is another option that can be used with a Motiv bleeder or with manual brake bleeding even with 1 person.

Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

·
Registered
67 Posts
Opps, V-12 is the professional grade. The V-5 is what I have.

Brake Bleeder

About $60, and with a house full of women who don't like to set foot in the garage, it is the best single man tool for bleeding I've ever found!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts