NewBeetle.org Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Thanks for a really nice "how to"; it's helped a lot. I'm in the middle of the process of repairing the blend doors, but I want to reapply a high quality foam to the doors like when it was new, but that's requiring removal of the center of the duct work with the heater core in it. I see no other way to apply foam to both sides, and I'm afraid that just using HVAC tape and no foam might lead to a rattle at some point. So while the heater core is out, I might as well replace that too, since the original is 16 years old. A new one was $45 at NAPA. I'd hate to not replace it and have it start leaking after going to all this work.

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Good to hear you got yours done! I got mine back together last weekend after 2 hard days at it. While cleaning things as I reassembled, I thought to at least shake out the cabin air filter and vacuum it. It really didn't need replacing since it was only a year old. But while the filter was out, I took a look down at the recirculate door, and to my dismay, it was in sad shape, too! I still had not put the glove box back in, so it was easy to drop the blower motor, and after about an hour, I had covered that door with foam tape, too. It (mine) didn't have holes in it like the other doors did, so it was easier to do. I scraped the surfaces with a razor blade and then used weatherstrip cement to make sure the tape sticks. What a job this all was, huh?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just did this and thank you for the write up.

I did it a little different.
1. Removed center console, center stack and all grey sections of dash.
2. Removed two screws from blend door cover and unhooked the bottom of the cover.
3. I pulled the cover towards the back of the car and downwards, with force. This will break the two upper tabs (unless you can somehow get to them to unclip) and the cover will come off. My upper clips stayed mostly in tact, so I was able to push them back together to hold.
4. I repaired the doors then reinstalled the cover.

This shaved a lot of time off the install.

*No need to remove the airbag cover*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re Blend Door DIY: I have 02New Beetle. Can not control Temperature either way; Blend door lever wire moves freely inside white cable housing; Rotating hot/cold dash control does not move wire. Where do I go from here?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bushing 1H0 819 136, necessary to operate blend door, is no longer available from VW. Does anyone know of a replacement part worldwide?? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
So after reading thru most of this I wonder why anyone would go thru the hassle of removing the entire dash for a simple cut thru the top of the box. Getting my tape today and starting the hack tomorrow. Better to remove the radio and the center console section than the whole dash. In case anyone wonders, just got a quote from a dealership on replacing the blend door box, 2874 and they suggested doing the heater core while they are there which they didn’t quote. A car with this problem is not worth enough to pay that price for the professionals to do it and even they said they would probably break pieces and the price would go up. Just a crap design but I’ll do the hack and tape. Should work perfect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finished the fix in 3 hours. Radio reset without a security code and the heat is scorching now. Again, radio out, top center console out, cut a square out of the air box right behind the radio and tape up the holes in the blend doors. Retape the plastic piece removed from the box to seal the repair and reinstall panel and radio. A/C and heat are spot on now. Plus, I got a free purge and recharge of the A/C system done by the dealer when they diagnosed the problem. Was probably hoping I would be back for a 2800 dollar repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!

Just did this repair on my 2003 Beetle 1.8T Coupe. Still relevant after all these years, and the step by step photos were invaluable. Thank you for taking the time. My blend doors were a disaster, blowing foam all over the car. Now the heat is blowing stronger than ever. A/C still out, but knowing the repair is done right is priceless. Big thumbs up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just finished this on my daughter's 2001 1.8t

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting - I did the "slanted dash" version, where I did not take any of the steering wheel parts off, and it worked great. I'm glad I did this version rather than cutting through the top of the box, as it gave me room to blow all the old foam out of the heater core, and vacuum everything up. It's working great now - just another example of great information here!

Attachments

141 - 151 of 151 Posts