NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was following the most excellent Blend Door DIY and got it all apart, and when I started cleaning what little foam remained on the doors, I moved the directional door (closest to me) and this little clip fell off the bottom.

I have no idea where it goes.

Any help would be appreciated.

I also read that the foam (I got some at walmart, the poofy kind that's 1" thick) needs to go on both sides of the door. Does that really mean both sides of each of the 2 doors? I have no idea how to get it on the backside, if that's the case.

Thanks.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
That clip holds one of two cables in place; the blend door cable or the temperature cable. You will need to put it back on before you put it all back together.

Regarding the foam on both side of the door, yes you do; because if you do not the door will not seal properly. You will have a 60/40 air flow; 60% coming out of the selected position based on the knob selection and 40% coming out of all the other vents, but you will still have heat and A/C. This is what my '98 does.

The ducting must come out to get to both sides of the door and those instructions are not part of the current Blend Door DIY. I am going to do another blend door DIY (Revision 2) where the ducting is removed; tentatively scheduled for summer next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! FIXED!

Thanks for your excellent DIY on the blend door. I would never have attempted this repair without it. It took me a few days, but I finally have it all done (well, almost all...I did NOT remove all the ducting to foam both sides of the door; I just did the side I could reach following the DIY. I used 5mm firm craft foam from Hobby Lobby, but in retrospect, I should have used the 2mm. If I have to do it all over again, I'll use the thinner stuff and do both sides...assuming your new DIY is done).

I did finally figure out what the little clip was for (to secure the directional flow door cable), and the plastic "holders" that should have held it in place had broken off. I just zip-tied it to its mount, nice and snug as I could get it, then loaded up all the touching pieces of plastic with super glue. Hopefully it will hold. I did test it countless times to make sure there was no movement in the yellow cable while the door operated normally. I found your other DIY on fixing that clip, so if it does break loose, I can hopefully fix it on the other side of the console without having to take it all apart again.

Some other things I ran into...

- The left bolt for the emergency handle above the glove box stripped out as I was backing it out! UGH! I had to remove it's L-shaped mounting bracket from underneath to get the passenger-side dash panel out, and then use a hacksaw blade to cut thru the bolt. What a pain! Because the nut is built into the L-bracket, I had to get a new one (from a junkyard, the dealership couldn't find it in their pathetic parts system).

- I replaced the Air Temp control head because the A/C button on the old one would not stay engaged. That was easy! Now the A/C works, but it's winter in Atlanta, so she won't need it for 3 more months.

- Did you know that if the instrument cluster is not plugged in, the car won't run? After getting it all back together, the car would start and then immediately turn off. I noticed that there were no lights on the instrument cluster. I found that the blue connector was not secure. After securing it, the car started fine.

- The plastic in these things (2000) is BRITTLE! I had 3 or 4 screw mounts in the center console break off just by trying to loosen the screw, as well as a few other places. I tried to repair as much plastic as I could with super glue, but I have the daughter making a list, so next time I drive the 50 miles to the nearest salvage yard with any Beetles, I can get pieces to replace all the crap that's cracking/breaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts