VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would i go about putting a blow off valve on the stock turbo on my beetle so that i can get that hiss sound? Does require any major modification? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
id prefer a aftermarket divirter valve/ splitter dose not req computer tuneing like a blow off valve would
its called a hybrid dv splitter realeases only 10% into the atmosphere and its bolt on with no other mods

·
Registered
762 Posts
if you put a bov on your stock beetle without doing a computer tune every time the bov realeases your car will die.
I've not seen this happen, but the MIL will be on and the engine will not run as good since the turbo impeller slows way down.

Putting a blow off valve on a 1.8T is a bad idea. PSSSSSSFRT doesn't make the car go faster, if anything, it will make it slower.

2 big reasons the engine has a Diverter Valve instead of a Blow Off Valve:

* Keeps turbo impeller spinning at a higher RPM as compared to a Blow Off Valve when the Throttle Body snaps shut.

* All metered air in accounted for, better efficiency.

If you put a Blow Off Valve on a 1.8T... people will laugh at you. :p

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Indeed you will get that sound from a short ram. Plus a decent short ram is a lot less expensive than a blow off valve. I paid $25 for a Spectre cone filter and like $10 for the secondary air intake hose filter. I also removed the stock intake box and tubing leading up to it and installed a 3" diameter flexible hose with one end behind the grill and the other leading up next to the filter so its not only sucking in hot air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Indeed you will get that sound from a short ram. Plus a decent short ram is a lot less expensive than a blow off valve. I paid $25 for a Spectre cone filter and like $10 for the secondary air intake hose filter. I also removed the stock intake box and tubing leading up to it and installed a 3" diameter flexible hose with one end behind the grill and the other leading up next to the filter so its not only sucking in hot air.
I know its been over a year you put this post but any pics?

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
I actually just took it off and put the stock air box back on. I don't think I have pictures. Let me dig a bit and I'll post them if I have them. I do miss the BOV sound though. But the stock air box breaths a lot better than a cone actually. I'm reading at least a couple more inches of vacuum on the stock air box than I ever got with my cone filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually just took it off and put the stock air box back on. I don't think I have pictures. Let me dig a bit and I'll post them if I have them. I do miss the BOV sound though. But the stock air box breaths a lot better than a cone actually. I'm reading at least a couple more inches of vacuum on the stock air box than I ever got with my cone filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Really hmmm? Ok well if you do find em that would be cool.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
How would i go about putting a blow off valve on the stock turbo on my beetle so that i can get that hiss sound? Does require any major modification? Thanks.
put a snake in your air box.

are you looking for performance or a noise maker? cause there is nothing wrong with the diverter valve thats in it right now. if you go to a BOV you will have decreased HP and probably a check engine light because our neat little perfectly engineered 1.8t's run on a closed forced induction system. if you leak air out into the atmosphere then lil buggy thinks somethings wrong puts you in limp mode.

so if you want horrid hp and check engine lights, go BOV.

if you want the wooosh-pssssst sound, change your air filter to a cone filter.

-jd

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've not seen this happen, but the MIL will be on and the engine will not run as good since the turbo impeller slows way down.

Putting a blow off valve on a 1.8T is a bad idea. PSSSSSSFRT doesn't make the car go faster, if anything, it will make it slower.

2 big reasons the engine has a Diverter Valve instead of a Blow Off Valve:

* Keeps turbo impeller spinning at a higher RPM as compared to a Blow Off Valve when the Throttle Body snaps shut.

* All metered air in accounted for, better efficiency.

If you put a Blow Off Valve on a 1.8T... people will laugh at you. :p
What of putting a blow off valve on a 2.0L

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
302 Posts
if you put a bov on your stock beetle without doing a computer tune every time the bov realeases your car will die.
Totally untrue if we are talking turbos

BOVs work fine on 1.8Ts stock or modified

however a BOV on a 2.0 pointless and there’s nothing to blow off

unless we are talking 2012+

1 - 17 of 17 Posts