NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 beetle. Im assuming my blower motor is going out . When I start my car up the blower sounds normal for about 3-4 minutes then just gets gradually weaker and weaker until it stops all together.as its dying it makes a high pitch grinding/humming sound. The ac light works on all blower speed settings.

Ive looked around and am having a hard time finding any step by step replacement instructions for my vehicle.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?
If I need ti replace the motor is it a difficult job for someone who is fairly technically savy but far from a mechanic? And finally if I replace the motor should I also replace the resister?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
diy

There might not be one specific diy for the blower but there is one for the blend door by (Mr d2beetle) which also covers a section in the beginning where you can get to the blower motor. You gonna have to remove the glovebox though and I'd be real careful not to break any of it's plastic pieces because it's very expensive and hard to find. Most folks just buy those at a salvage yard or repair their own glovebox door. not sure about the resistor I've yet to repair my motor I only removed it for cleaning.
good luck dude......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this happen. Took apart all of my switches and a piece of metal broke off, causing it to not make a complete connection and cutting off the air flow. Glued it back on, good as new. Mine was in a 99 beetle though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys I have the same problem, the blower works for like 5 mins and then it just stops but I keep hearing this weird grinding sound from the Blower Motor, has anyone fixed this problem so they can tell me what the problem really was and I can fix it straight away? I have a 2002 New Beetle 1.9 TDI

·
Registered
14,080 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check for any obstructions, as things can get sucked up inside the air-box and cause problems ; you may need to check the motor for wear, eventually the bearings fail.

Quite a few diy videos, on diy replacement and the new motors are not terribly expensive:

I found a video on how to get it out, I’m gonna do it first thing in the morning and I think it might be the motor, if it is I’m gonna replace it straight away. The problem is that its hard to drive the car without the air because I get foggy windows all the time. anyways I’ll keep this post updated after I fix it so anyone having this problem can fix it too. And btw it was -10 and the car was somewhat frozen on the outside I started it up without a prob and after a minute of running I switched on the air (not the AC) to actually defrost the windows and thats when it stoped losing power the first time, I thought maybe something froze and that was the problem but I measured the anti-freeze in the water to -30 so I dont know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys I took the motor out and it was worn out, a car electrician can repair it but I needed it fast so I just bought a new one plus a new one was 40 bucks and the repair cost 30 so it was better to buy a new one. works like a charm now. Thanks to everyone for the tips and I hope this helps to someone who has similar issues ??

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Worn out blower motor; figured as much. $40 is pretty cheap; what brand was it and where did you buy it? My fan is starting ti make a high pitched squealing noise and so, i am due for a replacement soon. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts