VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving into town yesterday and had my A/C on. I was driving by a car wreck and shut my radio and A/C off. After I shut the A/C off I heard a sort of rattle by my speaker in the door. At first I thought it was my speaker but I turned the radio off. Could it be a fan bearing or ? The rattle goes on for probably 8-10 seconds after the fan is turned off. The fan still blows the same as it used too. I also have another question about the radio. I got a radio at the Junkyard and put it in my car, of course it was in safe mode and I couldn't find the radio code in that car. I also got the instrument cluster from that car to use for parts. I plugged the speedometer into my car and tested it. It wouldn't light up and the gauges didn't work. So I put my original cluster in and tried to turn on the radio again and it worked! It wasn't in safe mode anymore. Does the instrument cluster unlock the radio? Thanks for any response!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Heater blower motor normally won't cause a "Rattle" sound. It's more like a low sounding "Rumble". It's possible something might have gotten into the blower motor area and is causing the sound. The blower motors are thankfully not hard to access. It looks like it should be...but it's really not.

It's behind the glove box. Best bet would be to run the motor and get your head in that area to listen. If it is the blower motor? It's only 4 screws holding in the lower section that houses your resistor 'module'. The glove box comes out pretty easy, along with the dash molding. Just need a good torx driver bit set, a basic ratchet set (if you feel the need to remove the bar just below the glove box.)

If you're going to a Pick and Pull yard? It's a great time to inspect and remove it from a junked car. Saves you from experimenting on your own car.

S-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts