NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by say Hi and introducing myself. My name is Lou and I recently purchased a 1998 Beetle for my daughter. This is the only car she ever wanted. It has almost 150000 miles on it but was pretty well taken care of. One of the issues is it overheats because the fan wont come on. I found a blown fuse in the Battery cover fuse box and replaced it. I looks as though the fan had been replaced so I thought maybe there was a short. Sure enough when the engine got to temp the fan came on but blew the fuse almost immediately. I have read quite few threads about this and it seems to be a fairly common problem. I ordered a new fuse box, this one does have some corrosion. Wandered if anyone knows if a common cause for this has been discovered.

thanks Lou
98 2.0l with 5 speed

·
Registered
444 Posts
Um, yeah, you need to do a search on this site for the thread about this. I bought my NB almost two years ago. One of the first things that happened was that I used the Fan/A/C alot when we had a bad heat wave . Turned out that the fuse box melted! I ran over to the dealer and bought a new fuse box. Mechanic installed it. On my way home I began to think about it, and that it might happen again. I went on line here and began to search. Found that plenty others had written about this topic. It was the opinion of some that VW had used very inferior grounding wires. I went on ebay and bought a set of REALLY heavy duty wires (about $25) and had them installed. No problem since. Don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a look at the thread about it. :)

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blown fuse

Thanks, ordered new block and will check grounding wires before installing new block. This thing worked for 150000 miles so it must be due to corrosion or a loose connection. Very frustrating though, all in all they are a solid car just too many electrical problems due to cheap parts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep. My NB had 120,000 miles on it when this happened. Mine is a '99 and I am having a a myriad of little problems all the time now, it seems. Electrical. Oh well. Good luck! :)

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aux fan blown fuse issue

Replaced the aux fuse block, fan runs now without blowing fuse. No more overheating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Um, yeah, you need to do a search on this site for the thread about this. I bought my NB almost two years ago. One of the first things that happened was that I used the Fan/A/C alot when we had a bad heat wave . Turned out that the fuse box melted! I ran over to the dealer and bought a new fuse box. Mechanic installed it. On my way home I began to think about it, and that it might happen again. I went on line here and began to search. Found that plenty others had written about this topic. It was the opinion of some that VW had used very inferior grounding wires. I went on ebay and bought a set of REALLY heavy duty wires (about $25) and had them installed. No problem since. Don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a look at the thread about it. :)

Hello everyone, new here. Ive been having the same issues as above and i was wondering. Where would i find a better set of grounding wires and fuse box? (not very online shopping savvy) reason im looking into replacing the fuse box (underhood)is that fuse 1 (Far left) itself is melted not just the fuse. also one of the wires (2nd one from the left) is also a little melted/burnt. i can post pictures if it will help as to how i should go about this.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So I'm betting it looks something like the one pictured in this thread. Cables will need to be custom made, and bypass the wiring harnesses. The existing leads are loomed into the wiring harnesses. Replace on an as need basis. All the information you should need can be found in this thread, sans sourcing the parts.

Main fuse block issues
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

Additional information:

Electrical Testing

Voltage Drop Test
Voltage Drop Testing

Alternator Voltage Drop Testing (excellent)
Alternator Voltage Drop Test

Alternator Amperage Output Testing
Alternator & Charging System Checks (Alternator Testing)

MORAV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts