NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 vw beetle 2.0 auto transmission....problem started with the acceleration. if i left it over night it would be fine on start up. if i started her up again after 20 min of drivin she would turn on but when i would accelerate she would not go anywhere. i would have to lightly tap the gas pedal to keep her goin until she got up to a decent speed. but then she would slip back to 5 mph if i pressed the pedal to much. i thought it could b the transmission oil so i changed that but it was a no go. i also changed the spark plugs and fuel filter but still got no justice. took her to a mechanic, she came back with the temp light on stuck on blue. drove her a couple days with the blue temp light on and boom her coolant blew out from one of the hoses.didnt really have the problem with the acceleration again cuz i stopped using her. turns out i found the temperature sensor was disconnected. took her to another mechanic. came back with the red temp light on. took her for to put some gas in and white smoke came from the engine...i have a bentleys book and im tryin to find the problem myself. mayb the head gasket, temp sensor, thermostat, water pump. mayb some one can point in the right direction ima tryn to find a good mechanic.i have some tools but not special ones like vw uses

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Sounds like you really need to hook her up to a vag com or at least an OBDII scanner and check for codes. You can guess yourself into the poor house if you don't.

When was the last time the timing belt service including the water pump was performed?

Go to Autozone and have them hook it up to a scanner and see what codes come up. Report back with the codes and perhaps we can help you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi i purchased this device i have to look up more info on how to use it.it was cheap i hope it works and tells me what i need to know. ill give you an update. o yea and autozone only checks if you have a check engine light on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also the piece thats number 3. is there another name for that? its the piece where you screw the oil cap to.. the book name for it is "vent housing"....mine is damaged seems the piece were it grabs to the oil cap is chipped off ...the cap juz keeps turning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you really need to hook her up to a vag com or at least an OBDII scanner and check for codes. You can guess yourself into the poor house if you don't.

When was the last time the timing belt service including the water pump was performed?

Go to Autozone and have them hook it up to a scanner and see what codes come up. Report back with the codes and perhaps we can help you.

Good Luck!
as to the timing belt and water pump i have no idea when.. but i will get to that

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That item you are asking about is a Crankcase breather Vent which connects to the PCV valve via a hose. If that piece is damaged then you can throw a few codes and it will also build up condensation on your oil cap via a brownish muddy looking substance. I would replace it and make sure the hose to the PCV valve is still in good shape since they do tend to fail.

Here is one from Partsgeek. I used them in the past and they usually have very good prices:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...&fp=pp&gbm=a&gclid=CJOqna67obMCFexAMgodVHEAxA

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Also that software you are running to scan the car is pretty generic. You should download VCDS lite from Ross Tech which will give you some basic scanning software specific for the VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, etc. line.

It's free but in order to get the more intensive scans you need to register the software and that is 99 bucks.

I would give the free version a try.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Code 1582 points to either a dirty Throttle body or bad TPS sensor. Since the modern Throttle body has the TPS sensor built in I would get some Seafoam Spray and clean the throttle body and see if that helps. Also you can try to do a throttle body adaption via VAG com. That can be done with the VCDS Lite software but only with the registered version. Your generic OBDII software won't work for that.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
P1451 Sec.Air Inj.Sys.Circ Short to Ground

P1421 Sec.Air Inj.Valve Circ Short to Ground

P1425 Tank Vent.Valve Short to Ground

P1472 EVAP Emission Contr.LDP Circ Short to Ground

P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low Input

Read more: 1999 Jetta: P1451, P1421, P1425, P1472, and P0102 wont go away - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volksw...-p1472-p0102-won-t-go-away.html#ixzz2AVuaqPp8

You have a lot of Short to Ground issues. Did you check your fuses? In particular Fuse number 43. If that one is kaputt then you will get all sorts of these electrical codes coming up. Also check the 50 Amp Wire Fuses on top your of battery box to see if they are still in tact.

Fuse 43 is the Engine Control fuse and it can cause these issues: Here is a diagram:

P1451[/IMG]

I would check those fuses first, then clean your Throttle body, clear the codes, drive it and see which codes come back. Then we can see what happens next. Crankcase Positioning sensor perhaps but lets not jump the gun. ;)

Here is a list of what some of the Generic OBDII codes mean.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Ecm

Good stuff Good stuff Indytom I would suggest he reset the main ECM after all those repairs and start new with a clean slade and see what codes he get's after that. My two cents on this one

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Good stuff Good stuff Indytom I would suggest he reset the main ECM after all those repairs and start new with a clean slade and see what codes he get's after that. My two cents on this one
Good Idea! Definitely worth more than 2 Cents. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am a technician for KIA, and I can say that what ever software that was is much more complicated to understand than VCDS. VCDS is closest to factory scanner. Factory scanners make it even easier because they are constantly updated with fixes and TSB's...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts