NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my first post.

Actually, it's my daughter who has the Beetle. It's a 2000 1.8T with about 65k on the clock.

Anyhoo, I was replacing the right front turn signal bulb (what a PITA) and in the process of getting everything out of the way, disconnected the intercooler from the pancake pipe and about half cup or more of oil came out. I'm thinking blown turbo oil seal.

What can I expect to pay for a stock replacement and where is a good place to start looking? Also, can it be replaced without major difficulty? I hope the turn signal bulb replacement isn't an indication of how difficult other items will be to fix!

Thanks for your help!
Bob

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
I think it is normal to get some oil-i did. Dont think you have a problem. Maybe others will offer info here.

I dont know about 2000 nb but on my 2002 & 2003 the bulb is very easy to change-i just unsnapped the little screw cover on the lens and take out the screw and the complete turn signal unit comes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red Rider said:
I dont know about 2000 nb but on my 2002 & 2003 the bulb is very easy to change-i just unsnapped the little screw cover on the lens and take out the screw and the complete turn signal unit comes out.
Eek! You mean I could have replaced the bulb without removing the wheel, inner fender liner and intercooler??!!!

Sheesh! Now I really feel stupid! :confused: :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
VR-4man said:
Eek! You mean I could have replaced the bulb without removing the wheel, inner fender liner and intercooler??!!!

Sheesh! Now I really feel stupid! :confused: :mad:
Hahaha Don't feel too bad I watched a dealer ship tech remove the enter front clip to replace the headlight bulbs once.. This was back in 1998 when they first arrived.

That incident scared me away from the Beetle for a couple of years. :D

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
"Did you really blow a seal or is it just a little ice cream?" Are you a penguin?

Yea, that is normal. When the turbo seal goes, you lose oil fairly quickly.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
what every one needs is a catch can... it does wonders.............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are too funny. Dang, I'll have to watch how I phrase things here in the future. ;)

I'll keep an eye on the oil. Haven't really noticed excessive usage of the stuff.

I suspected a bad oil seal because of my experience with my own car, a 3000GT VR-4 twin turbo. When the rear turbo went it put a lot of oil into the IC system.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
screw working on vr4's... jsut like a 300zxtt... cuz its so much fun pulling a turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
v-dubed said:
screw working on vr4's... jsut like a 300zxtt... cuz its so much fun pulling a turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've got that right! Things are tight in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts