NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 New Beetle. The stock radio is cassette. There is no CD changer.
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to disable the BLS (Blank Space) function on the cassette player.
This was a nice feature when cassettes were used commonly, but now I use the cassette player for my mp3 adapter and hands free phone. The BLS detects when there is no audio and attempts to FF and even switch sides (side A to B)of the cassette. Every stereo I've had in the past has had the option of turning this feature on and off, but I cannot figure it out in this vehicle. Can any owners out there give me the proper procedure to do this? Please?!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Have you reviewed the sound system section in you Owner's Manual? If it is not mentioned, odds are it's not a user setting. However, I understand there are things that can be programmed with the proper VAG-COM type equipment by the Dealer, or someone with the knowledge and proper equipment.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
MORAV...I think you mean VAG-COM :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Not before dnyed fixed it...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not before dnyed fixed it...
I see now where she was in there playing! (lol). Teach me not to run a spell check! No clue what it said, it had to have been a typo as that was always the intent. ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Probably best you don't know what it said!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, then I'm glad she caught it, wouldn't want to embarrass anyone! :D

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
You need to hold down 2 buttons until it says something on the display. I can't remember which 2 though :rolleyes:

Been a while since i read the thread on another forum.

:)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Of course the better way to fix this, would be to goto the VW Dealership parts dept, and buy the AUX iPod cable. it fits in the back of your stereo and you can charge/play your iPod through that :)

Also have you had a look in your trunk. On the left or right wheel arch, there should be a black plastic square. Pull it off and look behind it ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual doesn't say anything about BLS except what it is.
Is there an aux input in the back of the stereo? I figured since there is no 'Aux' button on the stereo, there would be no aux input.
I found the black panel in the trunk, and removed it to find a 9 pin connector. I assume it's the cd changer hookup. What do you suggest I do with it? :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There is an input that presently has the wiring harness for the remote 6cd Changer plugged into it. ALL NBs were factory wired for the Dealer available, Dealer installed changers. The adapter Blugg is talking about, plugs into one side of the same outlet on the head unit. The Changer harness becomes defeated. Both cannot be used. The trunk thing he was telling you to look for is the other end of the harness for the Changer.

There are cheap aftermarket adapters I have seen and read about with mixed reviews, or good ones available through VW and pricey.

MORAV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts