VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm calling it the 'Bug Ruckus'. This is my second NB after having owned a '99 back in '99 to '00 (traded it for a GTI). I wanted to do something different and thought, "what about a baja beetle like they built back in the day?"

A quick Google search a few months ago and I discovered that it had already been done by several people. So, I followed their lead and built my own version.

Exterior specs:
- Metalnerd 2 inch lift
- VR6 / Jetta Wagon springs
- Bilstein TCs / Koni Reds
- 215/75/15 BFG All-Terrains
- 15 inch Momo Winter Pro S wheels
- Custom fab'd front and rear tube bumpers
- Modified swing-down spare tire carrier
- Custom roof light bar

Attachments

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Love it.....more pics.

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
It looks great! :) But, it's pretty clean, for a Baja Bug.... :wink2:

·
Old & New Beetles
2,243 Posts
Oh boy, this is the coolest Baja NB I have ever seen! :)
I like that spare wheel assembly much :thup:

I would love to see some action-pictures with it...

Greetings from snowy Finland :D

Tapsa

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
BTW, where do you live? (profile info:dunno:) If you're not too far from North Carolina...even if you are, we'd love to have you join us for the Tail of the Dragon get together (GtG) in May. The link to the event is in my signature. Hope you'll join us:wave2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm having a lot of fun watching peoples' reactions when I'm out with her.

I've updated my profile to include my location of Walworth, WI.
Thanks for the invitation, but she's not set up to handle the twisties of the Tail. I wouldn't want to slow you down.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Wow! that is awesome. I love it!

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Nice!
Great work on the bumpers. It looks to be sitting pretty level too even with that spare out back.
Looks great and would love to see some "off-road/trail" pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced old photos

I've updated the original post with new photos, which include the custom roof light bar.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Lookin good my friend. Love the whole concept.
I wanna see some pics of that thing on an old dirt road, or an old stream bed, or sittin in a field somewhere.
Always wanted to do a Baja build. I really like that spare tire assembly. I'm guessing is swings down to clear the hatch?
Keep dem pics coming.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
OMG! LOVE IT! I am actually thinking about a lift for mine, but didn't know how it'd look. With those tires, it looks GREAT! How does it do in the Wi snow?!? I am in Minnesota, and that setup would be great.

BTW: I started a NB club with orger PushingFifty for MN and WI. We primarily center around Eau Claire. I realize youre a bit out of the way, but we are setting up a club cruise on the Kettle Moraine and some other fun things. Love to have ya! :) northcountrynbc.webs.com

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
Pfffft Wisconsin... (I'm from Rockton IL)

All jokes aside, this Beetle is 100% Badass! All you need is a TT225 swap, and you'll be ready for ANY terrain!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
I Love it!

I love your Bug! I am starting to get burned out on everyone lowering their bugs. I would take yours anyday over those body scrapers that make you pucker every time you see a speed bump!

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
Absolutely love it! What'd you use for a lift aside from the springs, the MetalNerd kit?

I was considering doing this to my '01 winter beater. You may have made up my mind for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.