NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a place online that sells the emblems but the rear emblem is a full $25 more than the front. I have a 2002 without the flip-away emblem hiding the key lock back there. Is there any way I could order two front emblems and put one of them in the back? Is there any size difference?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Why not just paint it ;)

Or cover it in the same leather as your interior.. Maybe not, didn't work too well :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you painted them, what kind of paint did you use? Did you have to primer the emblems first or just rough up the surface first with steel wool?

·
Registered
349 Posts
if its just the inside that needs the touch up - you can get vinyl inserts from Tonyabug here: VW Emblem Vinyl Color Inserts by tonyabug on Etsy its a great deal as for $16 you get three sets (one for front, one for back and one in case you mess up!) and you get to pick your color! :D that's what i did - although part of mine came off the back because i have the flat emblem with the crappy film that cracks & flakes off - so i painted the parts that came off and just used hobby / model paint (little jar for $1 easy fix! ;))

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My emblems are also flat, not the 3D ones. Painting these would require a very steady hand and a ton of patience.

As for the vinyl overlay, that would absolutely not work.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I found a place online that sells the emblems but the rear emblem is a full $25 more than the front. I have a 2002 without the flip-away emblem hiding the key lock back there. Is there any way I could order two front emblems and put one of them in the back? Is there any size difference?
Where on line? Everyplace I've found they're $25/$75! Need both!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks! His fitment in the title doesn't necessarily match his fitment in the description. The blue and white are listed for earlier years, the black and polished aluminum for later years in the description fitment. Pins shown on one listed as front, however it is my understanding the pins are only on the rear. I've emailed him and hope to get clarification and fitment interchangeability information.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
When you painted them, what kind of paint did you use? Did you have to primer the emblems first or just rough up the surface first with steel wool?
I just used standard model kit paint. :)

Still there now, i added the paint by hobby brush, waited for it to dry then added the clear coat. Not sure if you have Airfix out in the U.S. but that's the paint/gloss i used. Same as kids use for model airplanes :)

Same as is on my brake callipers ;) That's still there too :D

The reason us "UK" folk switch to the "U.S." black and chrome badges, is because after a year or so the blue peels off and gets water damage ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Interesting to know about the blue and white as I was looking at these as an alternative to the black background which fades out very quickly. Maybe I will consider the background hand painting!

·
New to VDubs, not to cars
280 Posts
The reason us "UK" folk switch to the "U.S." black and chrome badges, is because after a year or so the blue peels off and gets water damage ;)
The black and chrome one peels too. That's why I replaced mine with a Euro unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts