NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dind't know where to post this, it's a forum question.

I'm still wondering around the new features and looks, it's gonna take time for me to get used to the user info on the top, but is there a way to get rid fo the blue margins on the sides? I'm running 1280x1024, and that makes some really wide blue sides. Any clue how to lessen, or get rid of them?

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Toad said:
I dind't know where to post this, it's a forum question.

I'm still wondering around the new features and looks, it's gonna take time for me to get used to the user info on the top, but is there a way to get rid fo the blue margins on the sides? I'm running 1280x1024, and that makes some really wide blue sides. Any clue how to lessen, or get rid of them?
Yes. To lessen them, narrow the width of your browser window. :)

Seriously -- over 80% of the users of this site have a resolution of 1024x768 or 800x600. As such, we must cater to the masses with low res screen, not the small percentage that has a higher resolution.

Once I get past the initial rush of members joining, asking questions, etc. I might look into making this an option. I'm not sure if it's doable, but it might be.

Thanks for the suggestion -- and yes, this is the right place to post it. :)

·
Retro ... it's the future
18 Posts
jcroft said:
Once I get past the initial rush of members joining, asking questions, etc. I might look into making this an option. I'm not sure if it's doable, but it might be.
Jeff

VBulletin 3 allows for multiple templates, which you can turn off or allow users to choose... I too created a fixed width forum and got the same requests for wider screen users... in the end I just created a liquid template and use it for all users but did consider doing 2 templates, both looking the same but one being fixed width, the other liquid. I did consider doing an 'at work' template' that was very basic looking so as not to draw attention to what you had on screen at work... but never got round to doing it.

We too have member sponsors (the idea blatantly stolen from the ORG ;) ) our sponsors have their own secondary usergroup that they get added to when they sponsor... I did consider just offering the multiple templates to sponsors as you could add that as an option for just that usergroup... but as I only ever did the liquid template I didn't bother... maybe you could do that as another bonus for org sponsors...

I really like the way VBulletin uses usergroups now... it opens up all sorts of possibilities when you start playing...

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, man. I'll definitely look into a way to provide a liquid-width option for users. -- I'm just a little swamped right now with the initial rollout. Once it dies down, I"ll look into it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts