21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Order one for got to mention that.. Should be here this week I hope.. But still don't have any check engine lights car drives normal. I think the speedo is due to driving thru a lot of water. Texas doesn't seem to have enough drains, roads get flooded. I'm hoping it drys and works tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Stick or Auto? So we can help you better, please fill out your profile info...it's the info you see in the upper right corner of each post.; that way, we can help you more intelligently! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Speedo is working now!! Must of just got wet. Stupid obd2 scanner should of been here today. Looks like it might be delivered tomorrow. So ready to see what it's reading for temps. Anyone know the cost to have the ecu programmed to the car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
K got the scan tool it seems to be reading temps correctly. I drove the car for 30 mins and it read the whole time climb up to about 210f on hwy it dropped to around 200f. Blue light is still on, going to dig some more. When it cools off, going to unplug cts see if it spikes. Makes no sense why blue light is still on if computer is seeing correct temps.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
My blue light; stayed on, when I had a wiring problem at the plug to the coolant temp sensor. One of my wires/terminal ends, to the plug; had broken off. I went to the VW dealer; got a new plug, wiring ends and it fixed the problem. The VW dealer parts dept; said they replace the wire ends/plugs all the time; in the service dept, so this is not a uncommon issue.

What scan tool; are you using and did it show, any trouble codes? Please, post up any and all trouble codes, also please fill out your complete car/profile info as well, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm using elm 327 wifi scanner and dashcom app if I unplug the cts it drops to -40c. I've tried to follow the wires from the coolant sensor plug where do they go? Didn't wanna cut all the factory wire wrap and tape. Only code found was down stream o2, connector was loose but no check engine lights were on.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I would follow the test procedures and go from there:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AVH) (2001) > Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Coolant Temperature Sensor/Switch (For Computer) > Compo

Here is a video; about how to test your CTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXNBlH0c4_U&list=UU54gDSTTwdpIH4P0a16Zz1A

Sounds like you have a nice setup; reading real time data, the only problem is.... it isn't VW specific, so it won't give you those codes (look on amazon.com; for the vs450 or go all the way with vcds).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Would that video work the same for the gauge part of the sensor? I know my ecu is reading correctly, but the gauge part isn't. Can I do the same test on the sensor? I'm going to stop by my dealer tomorrow and pick n pull and snag a harness so I can uses for testing might be good to keep around. I'm gonna try another temp sensor also.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Sure I don't see why not; he's testing/using the same type of sensor that we use on our beetles, if not the exact same one (green top; four pin plug].

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well was driving it yesterday didn't make it to ft worth to pick n pull or dealer. But after about 1.5 hours of driving the blue light started blinking. Never seen that before. I'm planning tomorrow to go to dealer and pick n pull for harness to test and grab a new cts from vw.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Again, I had the exact same thing; it would blink and stay on. I would definitely check the wiring and I'm sure that will be the problem!
Everything you're saying; is exactly the same as mine!

I would recommend replacing the terminal ends with Volkswagen parts from the dealer; you might as well replace the plug while you're in there too. This will make it easier;
That way, you won't have have to remove the terminals from the plug; which can be kind of hard without the right removal tools (you can make your own however). Each repair wire comes with two terminal ends, so you will need two repair wires total and one plug, to complete the repair.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Yes, I would also use the 3M butt connectors with heat shrink and have adhesive sealing abilities. Below is the package of connectors that I bought from Walmart; cost me about 10 bucks.

3M heat shrink splice connectors:

3M Electrical Connectors 03830NA Heat Shrink Splice Connect, 24-Pack

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/3M-383...A-Heat-Shrink-Splice-Connect-24-Pack/34536756

Also make sure to reuse the sealing plugs from the old wire; that seals off the connectors inside the plug.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Volkswagen sells the plug housing by itself and then sells repair wires with attached factory crimped amp/te junior timer style terminal ends, by themselves; each wire has two terminals, So, you need two repair wires; to complete the repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Well no go. Looks like my short or broken wire is down stream more. I've replaced them plug, wires, and coolant temp sensor. Waste of $71.. :(!! In the middle of swapping them out I jumpped wires 1-2 that go to the dash and blue light stay on. It should of went red from what I understand. So then I OHMed both wires going from the cut (were I was splicing) and got open. Not sure I think I should see something there.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts