NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Country Buggin
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blue temp light comes on periodically while I am driving and I'm assuming that a sensor has gone bad or something. The temp light comes on like normal when I first cut the car on and goes off like normal, and then comes back on. Is this problem one that I can fix myself or shall I go ahead and make an appointment with the dealership? Thanks
Joshua

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
what year and engine is the wee one :)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I had the same problem and fixed it by replacing the temp sensor that comes off the coolant flange (a.k.a. heart valve). it's just to the right of the head on the 1.8T and 2.0L engines. It's about $6 and is easy to replace.

I discovered the problem by running the VAG-COM while the car was running - I noticed the engine temp measuring block was reading zero even after the car was warmed up.

·
Country Buggin
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2002 TDI automatic. I don't know much about under the hood stuff so unless it's something a novice could do I'd rather let the dealer handle it.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
SCbuggin said:
It's a 2002 TDI automatic. I don't know much about under the hood stuff so unless it's something a novice could do I'd rather let the dealer handle it.
Eep... dunno if its the same sensor on a TDI. You might want to post in the 1.9 forum.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Blue temp light on...

If you are certain that the engine is fully warmed up, indicating that the thermostat is working correctly, than more than likely it is a bad temp. sensor G-62. Engine is completely at temp. when cooling fans begin to operate.
This is a cheap part but during replacement, some coolant is lost and this will have to be replaced with G-12 VW anti-freeze only mixed with distilled water in a 50%/50% mix. Good Luck, JK

·
"Whoooaaa!"--R.Flair 1987
2 Posts
Me Too

My blue light temp stays on for a few minutes after the first start of the day. After that, every start is normal during the day. I'm assuming that this is not a big issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts