NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I want to get out of my car and punch every single person that puts HID bulbs in a halogen housing. Just saying. IMO if you want HID's, get the proper projector so you're not blinding everyone in front of you. It's not as bad in a beetle... at least the halogen projector kind of prevents that. But it's seriously my biggest car pet peeve ever when people put HID bulbs in a reflector housing. I can't see a thing with them behind me! :soapbox:

If you are interested in doing it the right way, these guys have reasonably priced kits. By my measurements, the morimoto mini projector should be a direct fit for the stock projector.
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
I want to get out of my car and punch every single person that puts HID bulbs in a halogen housing. Just saying. IMO if you want HID's, get the proper projector so you're not blinding everyone in front of you. It's not as bad in a beetle... at least the halogen projector kind of prevents that. But it's seriously my biggest car pet peeve ever when people put HID bulbs in a reflector housing. I can't see a thing with them behind me! :soapbox:

If you are interested in doing it the right way, these guys have reasonably priced kits. By my measurements, the morimoto mini projector should be a direct fit for the stock projector.
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
I could not agree more.
Drop in HID kits are so dangerous to other drivers if not installed properly with the correct protection against glare and beam height. I try to drive as little as possible in the dark because there are so many of these lights on the road.

The worst thing is that so many of them have those 'blue' bulbs which do not produce much actual light for the driver *sigh*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
By the way, you'd be much better off with a 4300k bulb, 8000k is not going to make the road brighter for you and only blind everybody else around you. 4300k bulbs will put out better useable light.

Only reason to use 8000k bulbs would be to look "cool"

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
By the way, you'd be much better off with a 4300k bulb, 8000k is not going to make the road brighter for you and only blind everybody else around you. 4300k bulbs will put out better useable light.

Only reason to use 8000k bulbs would be to look "cool"

Yep... my ex accidentally bought 12000k thinking they would be brighter. :rolleyes: You literally could not see 5 feet in front of the truck.

I plan on doing 4300k when I finally do my retrofit!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, to be honest that was the biggest reason I was AGAINST getting them; I don't want to feel like an ******* out on the street, and I see them all the time where it feels like they have their brights on constantly.

I don't know too much about lights, I just saw the 8000k ones and it was the cheapest, no idea what it all means, I just know they'd fit into a Beetle.

I didn't know they had different types of headlights to support different bulbs though.

I'll look into that. !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts